NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just curious on this one. My 2000 Beetle sags in the back, the car doesn't sit level. I installed new shocks that were definitely shot along with new front struts, but the front points up a bit. Plus, I have a nasty bump sound from the back when I hit a pothole. My best guess is that the rear axle bushings are shot as well. I plan on replacing them soon. My question is, if those bushings are bad, could it cause the rear to sag?

Thank you

·
Registered
36 Posts
Do you hear squeaking noises when on a bumpy road?

I'd think if the bushings are shot you'd hear a metal-on-metal sound.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Probably you need new rear springs. They are easy to change just disconnect the shock either the top or the bottom and push down on the lower spring perch with your foot and take the old spring out. The new one goes in reverse sequence though it will be harder to get in than the old was to take out. That should along with the new rear shocks you have already installed take care of your sag problem.

The clunk is likely the bushings, however when you put new shocks in did you put new upper shock mounts with those? A worn upper shock mount can cause a very annoying clunk.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Going down the road, there is squeaking. When I hit a speed bump or pothole the noise I get is very loud, almost as if the undercarriage is being hit with a big hammer. It’s very noticeable. When I replaced the shocks I did not replace the mounts. In hindsight I wish I had. Chances are I will when fix whatever this is.

·
Registered
413 Posts
When my daughter first bought her beetle, she had a noise from the rear that I could not find. The rear lower bushings looked like they were new. The only bushings underneath the car that did look new.

I actually rode in the back trunk with the rear seats down trying to locate that noise. When I finally did figure it out I found that the strut mount has a small rubber bushing inside the body of the mount and it had worn out. That noise sounded like it was coming from beside the rear passenger seat.

A bad lower bushing will sound like your rear wheel wants to fall off whenever you hit a bump.

They also have oem for more money.

Rock auto will have some less expensive alternatives. I have moog on the back of mine, they are a bit stiffer and offer a half inch to inch of extra height in the rear in addition to being cheaper.

That little item that caused the very loud and annoying noise on my daughters beetle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I will just replace everything. Shock mounts, springs (and seats) and the axle bushings. It's for my daughter and I want her driving a safe car.

Thank you to everyone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts