NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2000 GLX with 50K miles on it. When ever I go over bumps, it feels like the rear suspension is bottoming out. I jacked up the car and looked underneath. Nothing looks broken. Could the shocks be bad?

Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
I bet it's the upper shock mounts. I had that happen once. It's not really TOO involved to drop both sides down and have a look... That's what I'd suggest first, before assuming their shot.

But yeah, if you can push down w/your pinky near your liscense plate, and the bug moves alot, it's worn out.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
karmann72 said:
I just bought a 2000 GLX with 50K miles on it. When ever I go over bumps, it feels like the rear suspension is bottoming out. I jacked up the car and looked underneath. Nothing looks broken. Could the shocks be bad?

Anyone else have this problem?
Fortunately, the rear shocks on our VW's are very easy to replace. I would agree with the other post that the dampers are worn and the mounting isolating rubber portions have dryed up and failed. There is also a bump stop thats incorporated into the upper damper piston area that prevents the rear end from bottoming out. This may have failed along with the damper causing your problems.. Good Luckm JK

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
It's easy enough in fact, that I'd recommend just removing it and checking it out. See if you can compress it or not; how worn out it is; etc. It very well may just be a loose bolt also.

·
Klicky-Klunker
3 Posts
Rear Suspension Thump

Hi:
My 2000 Beetle rear shocks bottom out or better yet top out, I put on standard New Monroe Shocks and shock mounts. After I installed the new shock mounts it decreased the banging somewhat.
I don't think the shock is long enough as it will extend all the way when hitting a bump, I guess (coming out of the bump) and bangs the new shock mount.:mad:

Has anyone ever come across a problem like this. It used to be so bad at times (before I replaced the new shock mounts and strut bumpers) you would just wanna get out and walk.:shoot:

PS:The front struts acted the same way. I replaced bumpers on top of the strut like this poster did and it seems that the clunking in the front has calmed down.:)

No lowering kit has been on this Beetle, it's just stock struts and shocks.

Anyone have any suggestions? Help!!!

Also while the car is jacked up, the exhaust pipe header coming down by the heat deflector is soooo close it hits and raddles. So I guess that means, ah I don't know what that means!!!:confused:

Could it really be the shock bumpers? They looked fine when I had them apart. Do they get hard after years? Are they suppose to be soft?:dunno:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts