NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how I can fix my problem with the rear tires wearing extremely bad on the inside of the tires. The outside of the tires are barely used up.

I just got this car and it seems the rear axle may have been bent by going over a speed bump or something.

Hopefully the suspension can be adjusted back to a normal camber.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
As I recall the rear suspension is not adjustable in these cars??

I may be wrong, but when I glanced at min, did not see any adjustments.

Do you know 100% for sure the tires that are worn were run on the rear the entire time? If you just got the car, you may have no idea where the tires were from, if they were even on this car?

The rear axle would not and should not bend because of speed bumps. If the rear axle is bent, the car was probably in an accident at some point. There are some bushings for the rear axle, they could be in need of replacement, not sure how this would impact wear?

Suggest you have the rear alignment checked, but I would probably just replace the rear tires and see how they wear?

Check this out, there does appear to be a shim kit, these are usually Bandaid type of repairs for an axle assembly that was not built correctly. http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-5-liter-gas/53340-rear-wheel-alignment.html

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Too much negative camber. There is a permanent fix available for this condition. A good alignment shop will have dealt with this problem before. If they have not, find a shop who is familiar with this condition. The only other option, is to replace the rear axle beam. This can be very expensive and labor intensive. I actually just corrected the problem myself yesterday, I should have taken pictures!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Attachments

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
PRM,

So what did you do to correct your problem? Shims?

Also is this a big problem with manufacturing variations?

I have had my 2003 since new and never had problems, but it does appear that my car has a lot of negative camber.

I know back in the day there were technical bulletins for many of the American cars with solid rear axles and shim kits to correct problems, but it seemed like a luck of the draw which cars may have had problems, not all of models had issues, just seemed a subset of the build may have had issues.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Yes, I used shims. But my rear axle problems were self induced!
There seems to be this little dip in the road out here in Burnet County Texas...
And if you hit it just right you can get all four tires off the ground!
Well, being a child of the 70's I was about 10 or 12 years old when the Dukes of Hazzard came out. So, needless to say I have been learning to fix my own mistakes on all kinds of cars for the last 25 or 30 years! The rear axle beam assembly on these cars looks very stout, but they have a tendency to be able to bend up just a little bit. Hence, causing the negative camber issue. Fortunately for me, this camber is easy to check and adjust. It takes a few special tools and a lot of trial and error to get it right unless you have an alignment machine and the proper shims, but it can be done.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
MAYPOPS! That was with 0.5° negative camber. Next time I have the rear wheels off I will show you this shim placement that I used for correction of this issue. Now both sides are dead on 0 degrees camber. I am buying a set of new tires for the front, and sending it to the alignment shop for a final check. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
758 Posts
Holy cords PRM502STREET! Glad you fixed your camber issue, as replacing tires isn't cheap these days.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bushings to replace?

This looks like more work.... The other side already blew out!

Wondering if bushings will do but maybe shims..

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mechanic says not only is the camber off but the wheels are headed to the left; I found a control arm off another beetle that I hope will be better than this awful one I have.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts