VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In august I curb checked my rear driver side tire and tore a hole in the sidewall. Discount tire gave me a brand new one for a deal and said comeback for the other three and we'll give you the same deal. Three months later I come in, and that brand new tire along with my other rear tire have solid steel rings around the inside of the tire. Discount tire fixed me up with new tires and I went to get them aligned, little did I know the curb checked tire was so bad there was "no adjustment to align it" - mechanic. He said it might be my bushings? But that when I get it fixed he'd align the rear tires as well. That was in late November. Has anyone had a similar problem, or knows what it could be? Text

Above is the diagram for my current alignment

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Might need to take it to a body shop and have them check the rear suspension against the specs. I suspect something got bent when you curbed it. Then again? Maybe it will be something simple. I've seen the rear suspension first hand while doing the brakes on ours. It's well made, but not really 'thick' steel like older cars/trucks used to have.

Once a qualified body shop evaluates it? They should be able to report back exactly what is out of specs, and how to repair it.

S-

·
Registered
950 Posts
I can't see how hitting the curb on a single tire would blow out the alignment of the body that much.

I would suspect a far greater collision and misalignment than that to cause both rear tires to be shredded that quickly.

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
I think (there's a mistake LOL)

See if anyone with a shop can put this car up on a lift, maybe an alignment rack.

Check under it for bent parts and twisted parts. The other issue that isn't unheard of? Bent spindle is actually listed in my haynes manual. That would take one HE&& of a smack to bend it. Something got torqued out of shape. Just gotta dig into it and find out what.

S-

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've read on one of the forums that they make a shim kits for the beetle to correct the alignment if nothing is bent. It appears that they go between the axle stub and the mounting plate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts