NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I bought my Beetle in December second hand 2004 plate the rear view mirror light does not turn on properly, at first it did not turn at all when I unlocked my car or opened my doors and now all of a sudden since I've changed the stereo to an aftermarket one it turns on when I unlock the car and open the door. This is good however what is not good is when I'm driving it also decides to turn on and not only that I recently realised that the switch in the middle of the light that determines the setting was broken and stuck back on with glue!. I've told the garage where I bought my care from about this because whether they glued the switch back on or not this is not good practice, however they haven't got back to me yet about getting the new mirror light. Does anyone have a similar issue or know the solution? I have no clue what is going on just hope it's not something major. :(:(

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This situation rarely rarely rarely happens. Under normal circumstances, there is no way to break the light switch on the rear view mirror, unless crash the car, or someone intended to break it.

Pop off the temperature/clock bezel, disconnect wires, then grab the base of rear view mirror and pull straight down. Use muscle, very strong spring inside.

Since you already found the switch has been previously repaired, you need to inspect it more closely, to determine whether it can be repaired again or you need to replace.

If its me, I will get a second hand one, because its just a mirror.

As the problem of the light turn on and off during driving. You need to see: When the rear view mirror light turn on, which door light also turn on with it (there is a light on each door panel).

If NONE of door light come on with the rear view mirror light, you have a bad rear view mirror light switch.
If ONE of door light come on with the rear view mirror light, that door lock module is bad.
If BOTH of door light come on with the rear view mirror light, STOP DRIVING, you have a safety issue, both door can unlock at anytime, go to a certified Volkswagen Garage to have them trace the wiring, and repair the electrical system.
There is NO RELATION between rear view mirror light and stereo.
Okay thank you I will try this when I get home from work. I have found the light only comes on when I am driving over a bump or something that causes the car to jerk a little bit. I do know however the door lights have never come on together with the rear view mirror light but I will double check this tonight. I am guessing this is because there is a dodgy switch in the rear view mirror light and it didn't help the switch was glued into place. Thank you for your reply at least now I know its nothing to do with the stereo.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts