NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting severe wear on the insides of both rear tires. Looking from the rear, the NB looks to have a bad case of negative camber on both wheels (wheels tilt in at top on both sides). Manual states that camber is not adjustable. But it looks like I can install shims behind the stub axle along the top 2 mounting bolts where it fastens to the axle beam.

I had to do this on my 1988 Merkur XR4Ti when I installed performance springs/shocks that lowered the suspension. Anyone ever done this on the NB? If so, any pointers?

Any other suggestion on what could be causing this? History report doesn't list any accident and we haven't wrecked the car since we acquired it.

Later,

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ordered a camber shim kit for the rear to see if I can correct the tire wear issue I'm seeing. I'll keep everyone posted on how this repair goes.

·
1999 Beetle TDI
332 Posts
Where did you get the kit from? I was talking to my neighbor who has an alignment shop and he says every once in a while he gets a Beetle that seems to need more camber but he can only go so far. My 99 is going to be parked for the winter and a new set of tires and alignment is on the to do list. Just would be nice to have a backup plan in case mine would need the kit.It may not need it though.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Where did you get the kit from? I was talking to my neighbor who has an alignment shop and he says every once in a while he gets a Beetle that seems to need more camber but he can only go so far. My 99 is going to be parked for the winter and a new set of tires and alignment is on the to do list. Just would be nice to have a backup plan in case mine would need the kit.It may not need it though.
Bought the kit from AutoPartsWarehouse.com (free S&H). Then found it for $30 less at RockAuto.com. But with S&H from RockAuto.com, may be nearly the same price.

Attachments

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well, my Moog rear shim kit arrived today. Got 4 sets of shims for camber adjustment and 4 sets for toe adjustment. Also received a 16 mm combination wrench to remove the stub shaft bolts. Wrench is designed to gain access to stub shaft bolts behind rear brake hardware. Looks like my weekend is taking shape.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rear Camber Shim Installation

Weather here warmed up enough for me to tackle the installation of the rear camber shims on the 06 VWNBRT. Really a fairly simple service step to perform. Having the 16 mm special combination wrench to loosen the stub axle mounting bolts (4 per side)really made this straightforward to execute.

I installed +0.5 degree camber shims on both rear axles. Sure made an impact on the visual looks from behind. Both tires look more vertical now than previously. Going to run this setup for awhile and monitor tire wear. Still have a pair of +1 degree camber shims and could combine these to get a +1.5 camber offset if needed. (Note: I doubt this is necessary.)

Sure a much simpler and less costly fix than having to replace the entire rear axle sub-frame.

While I had the rear calibers apart I went ahead & installed new pads - Akebono Euro Ultra Premium Ceramic (EUR340A). Should be a good daily driver application.

Later,

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
camber fi

Weather here warmed up enough for me to tackle the installation of the rear camber shims on the 06 VWNBRT. Really a fairly simple service step to perform. Having the 16 mm special combination wrench to loosen the stub axle mounting bolts (4 per side)really made this straightforward to execute.

I installed +0.5 degree camber shims on both rear axles. Sure made an impact on the visual looks from behind. Both tires look more vertical now than previously. Going to run this setup for awhile and monitor tire wear. Still have a pair of +1 degree camber shims and could combine these to get a +1.5 camber offset if needed. (Note: I doubt this is necessary.)

Sure a much simpler and less costly fix than having to replace the entire rear axle sub-frame.

While I had the rear calibers apart I went ahead & installed new pads - Akebono Euro Ultra Premium Ceramic (EUR340A). Should be a good daily driver application.

Later,
Do you have a picture of exactly where you installed these shims? I might have the same problem in my beetle ( negative camber)
thanks

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have a picture of exactly where you installed these shims? I might have the same problem in my beetle ( negative camber)
thanks
See attached. You DO NOT have to disassemble the stub axle shaft. It will pull out enough once the four axle screws (P/N 6) are loosened using the special 16 mm wrench provided with the alignment shim kit.

Just be careful of the speed sensor (P/N 11) mounted to the back of the stub axle and its corresponding speed sensor ring that is slipped over the rear of the hub. The 16 mm wrench can make contact with the sensor ring when you loosen the axle mounting screws (P/N 6). The sensor ring is fairly flimsy and can be damaged by the wrench if contacted.

I'll get a picture of one of the shims in a bit.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
shims

Hey thanks dedwards0323 for your help a picture is worth a thousand words....Now I see exactly what you were talking about. The good news for me is I don't need to do it to mine just yet since I talked to my new beetle mechanic and he said ; my slight negative camber will not affect any tire wear unless it gets real bad negative rear camber.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This weekend I added an additional 1 deg of positive camber to both rear axles. I've now got 1.5 deg positive camber on both sides. An inspection of my rear tires showed the inner rim wearing at a high rate. Probably will need to replace the rear tires during SEP. A visual inspection from behind now shows both tires standing more upright than before.

Had to also add some shims between the caliper brackets and stub axle. The positive camber I've installed causes the calipers to rub the disc. Had to shim the caliper brackets to get the disc back in the center to avoid contact with the caliper.

·
smurfydurf
13 Posts
I am doing the same thing this weekend. I went to Les Schwab to get an alignment done. They said that the front wheels were in alignment but the back left had too much negative camber of -1 degree. (I wore out a tire in only a year on the inside of the left rear tire). They gave me a print out showing exactly how much I was out of alignment, so I ordered only one shim and the wrench from rock auto. I also ordered spacers for the brakes. Good thing, because I'm going to need them. The problem I'm having at the moment is I can't get the bolts loose that hold the brake to the axle. It requires an 8 mil hex. I have the L shaped kind but I think I'm going to have to buy a socket hex in order to get it done. Very frustrating.

Also - well agree with the previous post- the wrench that comes with the kit is absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also ordered spacers for the brakes. Good thing, because I'm going to need them.
Curious to know what spacers you ordered from Rock Auto. I used some flat washers to get the calipers to line back up with the rotors after I installed the alignment shims.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts