NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 nb convertible and the rear passenger window regulator isn't working. I have replacement parts for it and have been watching some videos on how to replace it. Question is some tell you need to remove the window first and some says not to. Can you remove the whole unit together or is it a good idea to remove the window from the regulator bracket?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had to fix my regulator also.2004 VW . I was able to work my window out with the regulator still attached. I watched this video several times before doing it. Once you get the side panel off which isn't to bad it's really not as hard as it looks .hope this link helps.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You can remove the window and the regulator as a unit.

The mentioned video above was helpful, it did leave out that the black metal panel needs to be removed. And the electrical connector on the motor is fiddly. It doesn't provide any info about installing the repair kit, tho. There are other vids that cover that.

When you're watching the video, look for the video about fixing the problems of the regulator cable. Aftermarket repair kits have cables that are too short and are stretched like a bow string so that they prematurely fail.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm done doing mine. I think I could almost do it in my sleep now, lots of false starts and go backs.

Here's the videos that helped. First the boys in blue show what you need to do to get to the mechanism.
You don't need to take the seat belt buckles out, and you can do it without the special tool. And it's easier if you can get the window all the way up and leave it attached.

Next Jeff tells you how to replace the cable.

Finally Bill tells you how to solve the problem of the too short cable. I found that about 1 inch off the sleeve did the trick.

Amazon sells a replacement cable kit with everything you need, Less than $18, you WILL have to shorten the sleeve.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ya learn as you go. I guess. Lucky I can do it with my eyes closed, now. Just after I got it all back together, that nasty scratchy rattle noise came back and the window won't go all the way up. Suspect I cut the sleeve a bit too short. I have another kit, as soon as the rain stops, I'll have to tackle it all over again. I'll try at 3/4" on the sleeve and try again. Life with a German designed car. My old Boxster is about the same.

·
Registered
11,885 Posts
The best window regulator repair results we have seen on this site; is by using the genuine vw parts and they work out of the box. I have not had to modify them, to get them to work and they seem to last the longest. I have installed the front window regulator repair kits with solid results and it is cheaper, then the whole regulator assembly.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The best window regulator repair results we have seen on this site; is by using the genuine vw parts and they work out of the box. I have not had to modify them, to get them to work and they seem to last the longest. I have installed the front window regulator repair kits with solid results and it is cheaper, then the whole regulator assembly.
Thanks, I already have the less expensive kit in my parts collection. If I can get by with the $18 kit instead of the $80 plus kit, I'm gonna give it one more try. Changing out the regulator is a lot easier the second time around. Maybe if I have to do it again, I'll spring for the high priced spread.

I think if I were doing the job on someone else's car I'd probably strongly suggest the OEM parts, too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts