NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The passenger side map light in the rearview mirror is out, and I can't figure out how to take the bulb out. I was able to remove the clear lens cover using a flat head screwdriver, but couldn't get that darn bulb out. Is it a turn and pull out? (Lefty Loosy) Or, do I need to disconnect the wiring harness? I ended up blowing a fuse in the process (#14). Did you know that fuse is not only for the interior lights, but also affects the power windows, trunk release, and sideview mirrors? I almost freaked when that fuse blew!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, so I finally got the bulb out of the rearview mirror. It's amazing how easy things are when it's light outside. Anyways, I took the bulb out, but I'm not sure what the part number is to replace. Stupid me didn't keep the bulb to show the dealer parts store since I was sure they would know what I needed, and I won't be able to get the bulb again until this weekend since the girlfriend has the car until this weekend. The parts store actually had no record of the interior bulb inside the rearview mirror on their computers and said he didn't know what I was talking about. Anyways, this is the bulb with the black base with 2 solder connection points. I've been searching different websites all day, but can't find the part. Please help!

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
um...sure would be nice what YEAR your New beetle is so we can find out...2000 uses a sylvania 6418...same bulb that's in your courtesy lights on the door...a 2005 uses a sylvania 2825 for the maplight, and a 6418 for the courtesy light....let us know what year and model so we can help...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doh, it's a 2002 GLX. I'm pretty sure it's not a 6418, since it's not the fuse looking type. This bulb looks like an ordinary light bulb (miniaturized), but it's the base that is confusing to me. It seems the bulb is soldered to a black base via 2 solder connections.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts