NewBeetle.org Forums banner

which gen beetle do you prefer

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what does it mean when someone says they had the engine rebuilt? in example: 50,000 miles ago. does that mean that the previous mileage put on the car no longer matters? Theres a 2000 Beetle that im looking at and the guy says its up to date with everything and it has 180k miles on it but the engine was rebuilt 50k ago. What should i be looking for when i go to check it out? What should i ask him about?

Thanks, new to new beetles
steph

·
boop
42 Posts
Rebuilding the engine means that you take the whole thing apart, clean it, replace some parts, and often re-machine some other parts. The exact amount of work put into it depends on what their motivation was for doing it and what shape the original engine was in.

The main reason a person might rebuild an engine on a newer car is that it died somehow. There are a few things that can happen to a car — having a timing belt break, running without oil, using wrong fuel, etc. — which can cause catastrophic failure of the engine, and when this happens it needs either replaced or rebuilt.

For example, if the engine gets too hot due to lack of oil or something, parts on the inside can melt or warp. As another example, if the wrong kind of fuel is used, it can cause abnormal explosions in the engine that create big holes in the metal.

When this happens, they can take the engine apart and replace the damaged bits with new ones. Or sometimes it's easier to machine an existing part than replace it, so for example if the cylinders have pitting (little holes) they might grind them down to make them smooth again.

Personally, I would be cautious about a car like that. There's a chance that at 130'000 miles it was just that engine's time to go, but there's also a chance that the car was neglected by the owner, which might mean more than just the engine has had problems.

If you do consider it, you should ask the owner why it needed rebuilt, and see if they can tell you who did it or whether they have documentation for it. You should also expect a price reduction compared to a car of the same year with similar features and interior/exterior condition, although i'm not sure by how much.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
Does the car have a "Branded Title"? Some try to pass a branded car as a rebuild and that is a question that you need to ask.

Ask who did the rebuild. If the rebuild was done professionally, that shop can tell you what was done. If it was not done professionally, ask to see the receipts for the parts use in the rebuild, if none is available, that would be a red flag.

The value of a rebuilt car is determined by who did the rebuild.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts