NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I have a 2006 NBC that I've had less than two months. I took it back to the dealer Monday because I was having a few issues - most minor, but one serious: since it started getting cold, when I try to crank it, it turns right back off. It usually cranks okay on the second try, but once it took three tries.

The service guy said they have 3 '06 Beetles in the shop right now with the same problem, and even had some regional dude down consulting on it. They have determined it's in the instrument cluster and all those have to be replaced. He indicated it's a "recall-type" situation and that most were fixed at the factory. The worst part is he said it could be fixed tomorrow or it could be two weeks or it could be a month. I am beyond ticked that I could be without my car for a month, especially since we just came out of frigid weather and have a beautiful mid-70s and sunny warming snap this weekend. Meanwhile, I'm driving an Economy Jetta loaner (no offense to Jetta drivers, but it's not exactly rocking my boat).

Anyone else having issues with the 06? The other problems I've had are:

1/ twice the top got stuck going half way down.
2/ the right front door speaker vibrates badly, like there's too much bass. bass adjustment doesn't help.
3/ awful squeaking that comes from the back windows. if you crack the back windows, it stops.
4/ once when a passenger got out of the car and i kept driving, the seatbelt light stayed on and "dinged" for about 5 miles down the road...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
NBC recall -- and another thing...

Why can't you find recall info on the VW website? i thought most makers posted that info on their site....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wawalker said:
VW can't afford that many servers!;)
i think you might be right!

this is my first VW (former Miata owner) and i got a little concerned when i took my Beetle in on Monday and almost every car in line for service was a Beetle. i saw maybe one Jetta, a Volvo (?), and something else. all the rest were Beetles and most were convertibles. bad sign???

i bought the car because i fell in love with it, despite the bad reviews from Consumer Reports. are we all crazy?

i really hope after these kinks are worked out, it'll be a good dependable car for me.

-babar beetle

·
Registered
7 Posts
same problem. Had mine in twice, and twice they reset the keys. Finally they found out about the cluster problem. Said it will be fixed by the end of the week.

Other than that, no real problems, and i was able to start it with a hair dryer to get it to the dealer :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
be hopeful

I just got mine back today...so far, so good! Tomorrow morning's cold start will be a good test!
Keep your fingers crossed for me.
;)

·
Achtung Baby
1,643 Posts
Good Luck, let us know how it goes!!!! On msn.com they have a list of the most reliable and unreliable cars, yep the NBC got most unreliable :(
~Shelly

·
Registered
8 Posts
The right direction...

Today was in the early 30's and the car started right up! I hope this means that things are moving in the right direction.
Doesn't the Consumer Reports / MSN report use last year's reviews to give their ratings?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts