NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'04 VW New Beetle ragtop 2.0L
Recent minor run-in with some road debris put gash in fuel tank. Tank has been replaced, and car did run to get up the driveway from the street where the tow truck had to drop it.
Everything is hooked back up per Haynes manual and photos taken prior to taking anything apart, but now fuel pump does not run and relay has been replaced. I can use a finger nail to run the pump by putting contacts together in an uncovered relay and lines will have pressure at injector rail.
The debris hit the passenger front before going under causing minor cosmetic damage, and airbag did not deploy.
Battery was disconnected for about 4 wks while work progressed in the driveway through periods of rain/sun.
Is there a fuel pump inertia switch that may need to be reset? Is there some other ECM reset? I pulled the #4 plug and since working alone I tried to see if there was spark when cranking and best I could tell was not.
Really need some expert help or ideas here.
Ask any questions here or rsflea at gmail dot com
Thanks in advance
Vicki

·
Super Moderator
14,766 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear of this mishap! Dang road debris! :mad:

If you used this as an insurance claim, tell them that it is not fixed right, and make them finish the repair.

Of not, then from what I understand, the fuel pump is within the tank, and it may have been damaged from the incident. At least, I think it's there.

I hope you can get it all resolved, and Good Luck! :eek:

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
low to the ground

These cars are already low to the ground as it is.
And folks keep lowering their cars more and more. IMO it does not look cool too low to the ground and besides it'll get damaged more easy like that.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,125 Posts
Definitely don't need to be lowered for damage. I had a hole ripped out out of my oil pan at stock ride height. Pipe cap was overturned, caught my drain plug, and ripped out a big section of pan. :eek::eek:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RE: low to the ground

esse10 wrote:
>These cars are already low to the ground as it is.
And folks keep lowering their cars more and more. IMO it does not look cool too low to the ground and besides it'll get damaged more easy like that.<

No clue WTH you got the idea this was lowered, but it is stock. I don't know what got thrown at me, but would have done the same to any stock height vehicle the same stock height as my Bug if it hit the same critical components.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
dibris

I didn't say your's was lowered I said; IMO folks that lower their cars are more prone to get road debris damage, basically.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts