VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
We've only got 4 Minutes!
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, mounted new tires, now causing vibration in steering wheel & alignment off.

Hello! I have a 2014 standard 2.5L 5-Cyl automatic beetle... I recently traded rims with someone who had the TDI ones, with my heritage rims. They both are 17X7. So I went to my local tire shop to have them installed once they arrived to my address from USPS... Once I got onto the highway I noticed vibrations over 50mph from the steering wheel... And my car slightly goes off to the right...

My question is... Could the tire shop not do a great job in balancing? Could the rims be different sizes with the match of my calipers? are the tdi calipers different than the regular 2.5 Beetles? I plan to go back tomorrow to the tire shop to have them re balance them.

My other question is why would my alignment go off if all I did was just change tires?

Any ideas? Thank you!

·
Registered
9 Posts
vibration:

Fist off, if tires are same size they can not change your alignment. Tires can make the vehicle pull to the left or right. One tire can have an increased rolling resistance compared to other. You can switch them from side to side to test, or may have to move the rears forward to get two of matched resistance. The vibration can be caused by balance, but most overlooked is the smoothness or run out of the tire. If a tire is out of round, it is going to vibrate. They have balancers that can detect this, (ground force) but the cure is to take a machine and grind off the high spots. Imagine paying someone to grind off tread depth of your tires?? You will have to investigate further, but the most cost effective solution may be replacing your tires.

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
We get that a lot here at the dealership after we rotate tires. the alignment is changed by physically manipulating the suspension, or a different size wheel/tire.

i would road force balance and if they need to be shaved then buy new tires and keep those as a back up.

-jd

·
We've only got 4 Minutes!
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, everyone- here's what happened. The tire shop did NOT balance the tires!! I went to my VW dealership and they tested them and confirmed they were the same weighs as the rim... So I basically paid again for them to balance them.. I went back to the tire shop and showed them what the dealer wrote and he told me he couldn't give me a refund because I went somewhere else instead of coming back for them to fix it. I wasn't in the area and didn't want to drive with a wobbly car. It's not my fault this shop didn't perform what I paid for... Is there a way I can get spme of my money back? I no longer have the vibrating and drifting thanks to the dealer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts