NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
We've only got 4 Minutes!
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced all my brake pads- however, when slowing down- my brakes don't seem to slow down as good as you'd think. In fact it's like my brake pads are low when I'm slowing down. Any suggestions on what it could be? My rotors seemed nice and smoothed so I don't think they need to be replaced.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
The pads need to wear some to take on the contour of the rotors before there will be good contact between the pad and rotor. I always have the rotors turned so that there is a fresh, flat face for the pads to wear to. It is getting hard to find places that will turn rotors for you anymore, mostly people just replace the rotors every time now. Sears Automotive will turn them for $12 each around here.

Also, did you check the rotor thickness? They could be getting too thin.

·
Registered
146 Posts
As the brake pads wear they transfer material onto the disk.
When they resurface the rotors they aren't doing it to make them smooth, they're doing it to remove the glazed material and provide a fresh face for the new pads.
Without that step the new pads ride on the glaze which doesn't have the same friction level as a clean disk, so the new pads feel "weak"
But as suggested, the machine to resurface costs thousands, and rotors are cheap so most shops have shifted to require pad/rotor replacements.
A less thorough alternative would be to use a Scotchbrite or Emory cloth to give the old rotors a some what better face, focus on the swept area where the pads make contact.

·
Registered
950 Posts
3 out of 3 replies agree, the pads are flat but if you feel your disks you will see they are not. So until the grooves in the rotor transfer to the pad they won't stop as well.

As mentioned, new rotors or resurfacing is needed when the pads are changed. I just do new rotors, resurfacing is too much of a hassle for me and not living in a city.

You should do some research on this forum, using the search feature, to find instructions on how to properly bed your brakes after changing the pads and rotors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts