NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recovered my headliner and sun shield in my 2001 TDI. To remove the sunshield after we had removed the headliner and disconnected the controller, we manually opened the sunroof and removed the glass as described on another DIY. We replaced the recovered sunshield and headliner and reconnected everything and all interior lights/ clock/ temp on rear view mirror, visor lights etc are functioning fine.... but the sunroof is completely dead and has no response at all to the sunroof switch or the key in lock. (It does operate fine with the manual crank, and worked perfectly electrically before we removed the headliner and sun shield).

We were not meticulous about what position the glass was in when we initially reconnected the sunroof controller.

Fuses look fine.

I read one tip to put it in glass closed position, controller to closed, and disconnect the battery then reconnect... ? Haven't tried this yet...

Did anyone else have this experience and know how to fix it?
(I found a post from 2009 with the same issue but the resolution was never added to the post.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
computer reset did not solve problem

I called my local VW shop and explained the problem and that I had read it might help to reset computer by disconnecting/reconnecting the battery when the sunroof and sunroof controller were both set in the off position. The shop advised me to remove only the black wire from the battery, then put the key in the ignition in the run position, keep all doors closed, then reconnect the black wire to the battery. They said this would force the computer to reset all defaults.

I tried this twice and the sunroof still appears totally dead.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dohhh ! Problem solved

Just in case anyone else in the future is equally not as bright as us, we finally took the headliner front end down again and found that we had carefully tucked the sunroof motor power connector under the wiring harness of the headliner when we were spraying it with glue... and then never reconnected it to the sunroof motor.

Gee, I guess that was why it didn't work.

Dohhh !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts