VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
bubbles whoops ass!
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have any of y'all recovered your rear hatch yourself? i'm sick and tired of my beige cloth one being so dirty, and it's just a bit funky too. it looks old and tired.

i'm sure recovering it isn't a difficult process, but i'd love to get some tips from folks that have been there before.

also, has anyone built some kind of tethering system from their hatch cover to keep it up and out of the way? i'm thinking some kind of bungee apparatus, but not sure if it's possible to do with the beetle.

if you know anyone with a mini cooper, their rear hatch cover has a really cool bungee system that lifts the cover whenever they open the hatch. that's what got me thinking of it...

·
Rusto King
420 Posts
would be simple to cover it in carpet

also I think the reason there is no automatic lift setup is because when flipped up it stays up.... as well as you have access to the trunk even with it down.

Most other hatchbacks don't have a the same type of trunk area that is why they have the automatic lift setup.

·
bubbles whoops ass!
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OldSkoolVWLover said:
would be simple to cover it in carpet

also I think the reason there is no automatic lift setup is because when flipped up it stays up.... as well as you have access to the trunk even with it down.

Most other hatchbacks don't have a the same type of trunk area that is why they have the automatic lift setup.
unfortunately, mine doesn't always stay flipped up! darnit. :( bubbles is a bit temperamental about her backside apparently. ;)

carpet is a good idea, but i might go with something without pile. i want something that will be easy to clean. and of course i'll need to treat it with a uv protectant so it doesn't fade. :)

·
Rusto King
420 Posts
curly said:
unfortunately, mine doesn't always stay flipped up! darnit. :( bubbles is a bit temperamental about her backside apparently. ;)

carpet is a good idea, but i might go with something without pile. i want something that will be easy to clean. and of course i'll need to treat it with a uv protectant so it doesn't fade. :)
well since you are gonna be messing with it anyways, fix the mounting tabs so it will stay flipped up.

as far as fabric, if you are going with something smooth, just make sure it has some stretch to it so you can wrap it over the edge, and use good adhesive (3m extra strength spray adhesive is what I use).

·
Ex Dub Owner
233 Posts
I have a friend with a 98 tdi that has strings attached to the hat rack similar to an old eclipse.(i assume this is what we're talking about). I don't know if it was a diy job or not. you can find new ones at junk yards pretty regular. you just have to keep your eye out cause these cars don't stay in the yard long. that's where i got my new one.

·
Rusto King
420 Posts
curly said:
thanks! i was wondering about spray adhesive vs. contact cement. i want a really strong bond since it will be sitting in the texas sun! yipe!

Yeah I used the 3m spray adhesive on the headliner too (and have friends that have done the same). No problems, we don't get as hot as you but Sacramento gets is fair share of hot ass weather.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There are different types of carpet or covering. One is very low pile and used for speaker boxes. I've seen rolls of automotive carpet in Wal-Mart's auto section under $20. If you remove the old covering this should give you a good base. Contact cement should work well since the material will be lying down versus hanging like a headliner.

Also, if you venture off into the vinyl world, it can be very easy to work with. You use a hair dryer to heat up and stretch the material around curves.

Hope this helps.
Roy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.