VW Beetle Forum banner

Red Brake Light Flashing & yellow still ABS light

12K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  jakenney 
#1 ·
OK- I was leaving walmart just after 11pm and I noticed my heater did not turn on!! I also noticed my headlights were out, but my front lower yellow lights and tail lights worked. Moments later after the ABS light was on... then came the red flashing brake light. I was panicking didn't know what to do- decided to take the surface streets...

Ended up getting a ticket!! because of no headlights. Not even my bright lights would work, unless I manually holded them. I got a driving violation not a fix- it ticket..

What could be going on? I know I need new brakes and pads because they are running very low. I'm assuming my 1999 Beelte is unsafe to drive? Where is the brake fluid located? I have never touched it in the 4 years i've owned this car. What do you guys suggest next?! Thank you!!

#2 ·
How is your coolant level? Do your windshield wipers work?

#3 ·
Brakes, pads, fluid, won't cause the issues you're seeing. So just put those to the side for now.

Your problem with the lights, heater, instrument cluster flashing, those seem to be electrical issues.

If you're not capable, and not willing to put in hours of time troubleshooting then your next step is going to a mechanic to have it looked at.

#5 ·
I concur that the flashing brake light has nothing to do with fluid and pads - so it's just a coincidence if your pads need to be replaced. Definitely an electric problem.

First thing I would check is the battery state of charge. Last time my instrument cluster went berserk like this, it ended up being a dead battery, causing all kinds of weird things in the cluster for a short while before no power at all a few hours later. How old is your battery ?

#6 ·
Thanks for your guy's comments!

What happened was... my electrical ignition switch burnt out... as well as a few wires that caused the lights on my odometer and heater, headlights & blikers to go out. I ended up paying around $300 to fix it.

$90 for the ignition switch
$160 for the labor
$20 for the wires.

#8 ·
Abs light on brake light flashing on

This happen to me after I used my car to jump start another car

It was a simple fix , on top of battery there is abs fuse, not the problem

But just beside the fuse there is electrical harness with a connector

When I lifted the battery cover to jump start the battery this connector

Came apart you could not tell that it was not fully engaged but when I

Push it together I could tell there was some movement and ,my abs

Light and my flashing red brake light went off:

#9 ·
This happen to me after I used my car to jump start another car

It was a simple fix , on top of battery there is abs fuse, not the problem

But just beside the fuse there is electrical harness with a connector

When I lifted the battery cover to jump start the battery this connector

Came apart you could not tell that it was not fully engaged but when I

Push it together I could tell there was some movement and ,my abs

Light and my flashing red brake light went off:
If this turns out to be the root cause of my current ABS light-on issue you will be eligible for lots of cudos

#10 ·
I also fixed a lit ABS flashing brake light by disconnecting and re-connecting the plug on the Fuse box on top of the battery. My car threw p0600 code as well. Once I redid the connection everything cleared up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.