NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
chunk is my buddy. he is a 98 new beetle and currently has 104k on him.

i got him feb 09 with about 98k and the problems began. so far i've had to get a new ac/heater panel because the old one just took a ****, water pump replaced, cylinder issues and rotten egg smell have me combated, hole in oil pan, wires and sensors have been replaced for various things and a bunch of stuff that i can't remember off the top of my head at the moment.for a free car i've dropped over $3,000 in a very short amount of time. every 3 months like clockwork things fail even after the mechanic checks everything out and says i'm good to go and he shouldn't have to see me for awhile.

i've read through some of the threads and there seem to be similar issues going on with the boiling coolant and the red temp light. however, i just got my water pump replaced 7 months ago. my dad thinks it's the thermostat and im hoping it is because it is a easy fix. it started back in may the temp lite came on after i had just gotten work done, took it to the shop and they put coolant in and it was fine. few weeks later same thing i put coolant in it was fine but then it started to be more frequent. now as soon as you turn the car on it goes from blue to blinking red with or without coolant. i drove to work one day with it full of fluid and after a few minutes i guess it start boiling and steam starts.

would a water pump go after 7 months? could it really be as easy as the thermostat since the water pump just got replaced? i have no more money to put into chunk :(

·
Twizzler
447 Posts
As for the water pump, it should be good for a very long time..unless you installed one that has plastic impeller blades on it, they should be metal. If they are metal it will not be the coolant pump. Even if they are plastic they would last a long time as well, the most that could have happened is the seal around the water pump would leak. Your description is of a very failed thermostat. Get it changed out asap as it will cook the temperature sensor along the coolant hose, it probably is already fried though. They temp sensor is cheap. Change the thermostat and the coolant temperature sensor and that will take care of the cooling system for a long time.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,010 Posts
What coolant are you using? Have you mixed coolants?

·
Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts
chunk is my buddy. he is a 98 new beetle and currently has 104k on him.

i got him feb 09 with about 98k and the problems began. so far i've had to get a new ac/heater panel because the old one just took a ****, water pump replaced, cylinder issues and rotten egg smell have me combated, hole in oil pan, wires and sensors have been replaced for various things and a bunch of stuff that i can't remember off the top of my head at the moment.for a free car i've dropped over $3,000 in a very short amount of time. every 3 months like clockwork things fail even after the mechanic checks everything out and says i'm good to go and he shouldn't have to see me for awhile.

i've read through some of the threads and there seem to be similar issues going on with the boiling coolant and the red temp light. however, i just got my water pump replaced 7 months ago. my dad thinks it's the thermostat and im hoping it is because it is a easy fix. it started back in may the temp lite came on after i had just gotten work done, took it to the shop and they put coolant in and it was fine. few weeks later same thing i put coolant in it was fine but then it started to be more frequent. now as soon as you turn the car on it goes from blue to blinking red with or without coolant. i drove to work one day with it full of fluid and after a few minutes i guess it start boiling and steam starts.

would a water pump go after 7 months? could it really be as easy as the thermostat since the water pump just got replaced? i have no more money to put into chunk :(
Its just time to replace your coolant temperature sensor first of all. It can be had for $9.99 at your local autoparts store, or $25-$30 at your local dealership. I would recommend you order the retaining clip ($.50) because if you're like the average normal person, you will drop yours waaaay down into the depts of the engine bay never to be seen again. Why pull your hair out looking for a 50cent piece of plastic?

Have you been using the correct Vw Coolant? Its pink in color and it's called G12. If you have added regular green coolant, you should flush it ASAP and add the correct G12 coolant.

But change the CTS (coolant temp sensor) first and then go from there. Make sure the one you buy is green in color and comes with a little rubber O-ring.

·
Probably MIA
2,800 Posts
The coolant temp sensor has no effect on the cooling system performance, not to this level anyways. Make sure your fans work. Make sure nothing is plugged - G12 coolant plus green coolant = sludge and blockages. Replace the thermostat, and when you do so reach your fingers in the hole and feel around until you feel the water pump impeller. Make sure it is tight on the shaft and doesn't move at all.

If after this you still have problems, then the head gasket is toast and/or the head is warped/cracked. This would have been caused by a previous overheating event. Has the motor ever been cooked before, like right before you had the water pump changed?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys for your responses

a few months after i got my water pump replaced my car suddenly overheated and coolant overflowed all over the place and started shaking all sorts of crazy. i towed it to the shop and he said it was because the sensor had popped out of place. that was a month or so before this current issue.

as far as coolant goes i was using the vw coolant but since this has been happening more frequently i've put water in it lately and orange coolant that's not vw. but i haven't driven it in the last few days since it has gotten really bad.

i'm still waiting for my dad to come give it a look

·
Registered
186 Posts
thanks guys for your responses

a few months after i got my water pump replaced my car suddenly overheated and coolant overflowed all over the place and started shaking all sorts of crazy. i towed it to the shop and he said it was because the sensor had popped out of place. that was a month or so before this current issue.

as far as coolant goes i was using the vw coolant but since this has been happening more frequently i've put water in it lately and orange coolant that's not vw. but i haven't driven it in the last few days since it has gotten really bad.

i'm still waiting for my dad to come give it a look
Orange is Dexcool aka DeathCool...

I had the same problem, except with the one I tool around on, decided to pour orange on top of green. Problem is... Orange doesn't agree with the plastics in these cars, it also reacts VERY badly with other coolants.

Orange + Pink = nasty sludge

Orange + Green = pasty coating

Both will lead to overheating, and Dexcool will chew through the temp sensor. Along with anything else made out of that fibrous plastic.

G12 from the dealer IS not the same as Dexcool, similar tech different Chemicals at the core.

Step 1: Drain Rad, refill with Rad Flush and Deionized Water. Run for 15 minutes, drain system, refill with Deionized Water.

Step 2: Drive around for a day or two, drain, and refill with de-ionized water.

Step 3: Repeat Step 2 atleast 3-4 times.

Step 4: Mix G12 from dealer at 70% coolant 30% water, refill, run up to temp, let cool, top off coolant. Could take several topping ups, drive around after it stops taking more, then after letting cool overnight check and top up if needed.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,010 Posts
Also, are both of your fans working properly?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the thermostat, the housing, gasket, and sensor had to be replaced and my system had to be flushed out. pepboys wanted to charge me $800, but since they were idiots i got it done for $360.

thanks everyone

1 - 9 of 9 Posts