NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again beetle org! I've hit another snag with my beetle and as always this is the first place I turn to :) you guys have always fixed the problems I have!

I'm rolling in a 1999 red VW! Today I was driving home and the red temp light went on, so naturally I pulled over whipped out my vw book and did some quick reading. I checked my coolant levels and they seem to be a little bit low. I did some searching on here and I'm reading that I should buy the 50/50 coolant from the dealership.

Does anybody know how much it cost? I'm leaving Friday morning headed towards LA, about a 1.5 hour drive for me and I don't really want to risk anything. So if you guys have a price or alternative please let me know! As always Thank You :D

·
Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts
Hello again beetle org! I've hit another snag with my beetle and as always this is the first place I turn to :) you guys have always fixed the problems I have!

I'm rolling in a 1999 red VW! Today I was driving home and the red temp light went on, so naturally I pulled over whipped out my vw book and did some quick reading. I checked my coolant levels and they seem to be a little bit low. I did some searching on here and I'm reading that I should buy the 50/50 coolant from the dealership.

Does anybody know how much it cost? I'm leaving Friday morning headed towards LA, about a 1.5 hour drive for me and I don't really want to risk anything. So if you guys have a price or alternative please let me know! As always Thank You :D
You can fill it up on distilled water if needed.

The coolant costs about $26, but its an entire gallon of 50/50 premixed g12. Remember, never mix your coolant colors. If its green in the tank, flush it and add pink. if its pink, add more pink G12.

Finally, how many miles do you have? have you replaced your timing belt and waterpump? Even if you have under 100k miles, you want to get that changed as soon as possible because of the car's age. Have you changed your coolant temperature sensor already?

·
Registered
708 Posts
I got mine for $24 at the dealer, and it's concentrate. Make sure you read the back of the jug. It tells you to mix it 50/50 or 70/30 depending on your weather conditions.

·
This chick drives a stick
4,854 Posts
yeah, I did the same. It's not mixed. You will need to mix it prior to adding it to the car. But for the time being you can just fill the car with water.

You could have a leak. Check your coolant flange, these are made of plastic and do break. I just replaced mine and that was causing a nasty little leak.

$25 seems about right, but you get a LOT.

·
Twizzler
447 Posts
Check for leaks before you drive if you have already done the timing belt and water pump recently. Coolant flange coming out of drivers side of block, its a black plastic pipe with multiple outlets, it leaks where it interfaces with the block; caused by the failure of a small o-ring. The other location of a leak would be the VERY poorly designed steel coolant line going along the passengerside fender inside the engine bay. It basically rots and leaks, also is the cause of dirty looking coolant in your car, makes rusty coolant color. If you have not changed the water pump recently it could be leaking. It is very easy to determine which leak you have just by looking at these locations and seeing any crusty or wet looking pinkk residue. Keep some premixed coolant and distilled water in your trunk for the drive to L.A. if you don't repair the car before then just in case. As long as the water pump hasn't fallen apart the leak can be handled by just topping it up repeatedly if necessary until you get it fixed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts