VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
BUG THIS
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a red thermomater light flashing after I drive a bit my coolant is not low . I changed the coolant temperature sensor and it is still flashing then when I was driving home my oil light came on for a brief minute. What could be the issue? Also my fan doesn't stay on for a minute when I turn off the car. Note no engine light on.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Scan the car for trouble codes (post here; any and all trouble codes); when was the last time, the waterpump/timing belt was replaced? A quick way to see; how the pump is doing, is remove the line that goes back to the coolant pressure tank. How does the stream look? Historically, there have been linkages between the cts wiring circuit and problems with it making the oil pressure light go off. However, since BOTH are so important to the life of the engine; you will want to check/test both the coolant system and oil pressure, make sure they are working properly.

See if there are any codes; then, I would want to check the water pump and oil pressure: make sure they are both working as they should.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Based upon your mileage; it wouldn't surprise me if the water pump was failing. Did your replacement water pump have a metal or plastic impeller?
How does the return line stream look? To know for proof positive; you could remove the thermostat and check the water pump impeller and you would know if it is ok.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,414 Posts
Where did you get the temp sensor from? Having the oil light come on with the temp light can mean a bad sensor.

Also, is the light blinking or solid red?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
How is the stream of coolant; going back into the coolant pressure tank (that is a quick way to see how the water pump is doing). If you are not getting much or any flow; I would also, remove the hose and blow through it both ways, there is a check valve near the end by the bottle and we have had people who have had the valve fail, get clogged. To make sure; the pump is ok, pull the thermostat and check if the impeller is cracked (many times in pieces) or if it spins on the shaft. I would also; replace the thermostat, while your in there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Blinking Red Temp light afte AC is turned on

Hi, My temp light blinks red a few miles after I use the AC, I stop, add a couple of ounces of coolant to the expansion tank and everything is OK, until I use the AC again. If I don't use the AC, the tank stays full and no blinking light. The pump, timing belt and thermostat have all been changed, can't figure out where the coolant (only a little) goes to make the light go on. Any ideas??

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I would have the cooling system pressure tested; you can buy a relatively inexpensive kit from Harbor freight and that way, you can test yourself! The cost of the kit is probably less then what a shop would charge you in labor rates, anyway. If you keep these cars for any amount of time; they have coolant leaks (there are many plastic parts in the cooling system; these crack and deteriorate all the time), So, you will be definitely be using this test kit for your vw and you can use it on any other cars you have as well. Google search for an extra 20% off coupon.

Radiator Pressure Tester Kit
Pittsburgh Automotive - Item#69258

http://m.harborfreight.com/radiator-pressure-tester-kit-69258.html?utm_referrer=direct/not provided

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks! I pulled the expansion tank and noticed there was a small slit just behind the clamp on the lower hose, cut 1" off and put it back together, now no leak and repaired. I will check out Harbor Freight for the pressure tester and the adapter for the beetle, you are right, I may need it again! Thanks again for the help!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts