NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I recently had an oil change at the dealership with some fully synthethic castrol oil. I was checking my oil level this week just in case it need more oil (heard about oil consumption on 2.0). Well I noticed a red/Pink sluggish liquid that was leaking. Couldn't see where it was coming from, but it was near the front under the cooling fans and radiator. What is this liquid????? I was assuming the coolant, but not sure what color it is. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Our coolant is pink, and yes it's likely a coolant leak. From what you've said, it's hard to tell where it is coming from. I'd suggest taking it to a trustworthy mechanic who can find and patch/repair the leak.

·
Eine Kleine Panzer
210 Posts
In addition to the above advice, it could be a "heart valve" coolange flange leak. Do a search here and you can read about that as well. Or the oil cooler (there is a coolant hose which leads into it). A hose or something could have been knocked loose during the oil change since the oil filter is nearby. Check around for the source...good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies. Im going to check if there is a leak or if the mechanic accidently loosened the hose during the oil change and smudged it across the bottom of the car because the pink liquid is under the metal pan right behind the radiator, and also on a hose that is in front of it. Im guessing a leak from the top because thats the only way the coolant would have been in those two places. I checked the coolant level several times, and also will check again tonight when i get home, and its still at "max." The beetle has 65,000 on it and im afraid that its going to start having major problems soon (water pump, timing belt etc.)...and I bought this car couple months ago thinking this would be a more reliable car than my firebird (which had problems everyday)...im just praying...(i'll wipe the liquid off and see if it appears again, that way i know for sure...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh and forgot, could this be the reason my A/C hasn't been working??? Its been blowing warm air since a month ago...I personally thought it was just in need of a recharge and didn't want to payout $70 for an AC check (afraid they'll rip me off anyway). (I live in florida, so AC is a must).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts