NewBeetle.org Forums banner

Redundant Threads should:

• Total voters
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So many questions asked on this forum have been discussed for as long as it's been around, and the same ones keep popping up. Wow. Its boring me to tears; make me visit less and less; and just pisses me off. I realize the search function is crap, too.

so here is the poll:

Redundant threads should:

1. be referred to other posts asap (needs moderator vigalance)
2. be ignored
3. given the benefit of time and space on the .org

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
They should be linked to the original posts w/all the advice that's already been given.

They should also not be beaten about the brow simply for asking a question.

I wish I could have voted for #1 AND #3.

And it doesn't take a moderator to link someone to a post that answers their question. I see no need for moderator intereferance there.

Yeah, I know, same old questions over and over, a FAQ would be helpful. So would search. But seriously, people joining and asking the same questions? Don't you think that still happens on every forum in the world? :) Best solution I've seen is a FAQ that the redundant questions can be linked to.

·
crank it up, suckers!
5,596 Posts
I've even seen some people start their own redundant threads. I know a few .orgers have numerous photo threads for the same Beetle.

I guess I have some pity for new members that post a redundant question, even when they're excited about a New Beetle unconventionally powered. You know, like if someone ever figured out how to install a jet engine or something. A new member showing their enthusiasm should be supported. Without new members this place would shrink and eventually die!

Yes, there are some frustrating redundancies, but I manage alright most of the time. Usually I'll just ignore the thread and let someone else answer the question, unless I get an urge otherwise.

Wow!!!!! That was a really long response I just gave! :D

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
I will say this, since I'm a member of many forums. I get so tired of being flamed for asking a question THAT'S EVER BEEN ASKED IN THE HISTORY OF THE INTERNETS, EVER.

Now I know how to use the search function, but sometimes people word things funny and maybe I didn't see the thread called "Correct PSI for tires" when I searched for "tire pressure". I'm just saying, we all make mistakes and not everyone is a forum junkie like me.

I think a polite link to a redundant thread should do, or hey, don't do anything at all. But I get sick of people say "Damn, did you ever search dude?". :mad: I can't really answer the poll though - my answer isn't listed.

Just my .02!

·
Just because!
3,712 Posts
I try to merge the redundant threads to the existing ones, but since I am away from the computer more than 13 hours/day, I can't do it all.

I give great praise to the Mods who actively work the boards. I don't want to imagine what they would look like it no one was tidying up.

We'll get to them eventually!

If you want, you could PM me with the redundant thread and the existing thread links, and I'll be happy to merge them ASAP!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts