NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Well today was suppose to be wash n wax day, but yet another rainy and muggy day. **sigh** I took this as an opportunity to make my "Bug Binder" ( I'm a filing junkie)

Getting all my paperwork , organized, and prioritizing the regular maintenance and the MUST do!

Little bit about my Sweet Caroline 2003 CC GLS 1.8T ( what i have now come to know from this site as a Blue Lagoon Color Concept)

Adopted her on 4/6/2013 ( what a bday present she was !!! )
with 101,548.

She just hit 105,000 on my back from Fenway yesterday :)

She went in for service at local VW dealership:

5/6/13 for driver side headlight casing loose and headlight not working -FIXED

Scheduled Timing Belt replacement ( unsure of her prior and repair and maintenance)

6/21/13 had - "Repair kit, water pump, thermostat, washer and doublebelt" done Assuming that is all mechanic talk for "yes we changed the timing belt"

I know this has been a long winded post, but rest assure... finally getting to my questions.

Not knowing her maintenance and repair history, what would you all recommend as next should do, or MUST do for her with all your knowledge on Vdubs?

When she went for timing belt, I explained to dealership to look her over good as I was planning on a LONG drive with her soon, and give me recommendations on what should be done before I set off, the dealership recommended oil change and new front tires and alignment.

Do dealerships have info based on VIN as to what has been done to vehicle?

If you read this far... thank you :)

EDIT: I did the "cardboard test for the first month "

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Given the age, how is the suspension holding up?

And brakes?
breaks and suspension seem fine on my day to day driving, but given it's age is it something I should have looked at ? I am more of a maintenance person vs fix it when it breaks, I guess what I'm asking is , given all the knowledge on this forum, and vdub experience, concerning my year and model is there something I should jump on and have checked before "it's too late"

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Not sure what is meant by "doublebelt"? Seems like an odd term. I'd try to clarify what exactly was replaced in the job. Hopefully they replaced the tensioner and rollers (not sure if the 1.8T has others though, I know the TDI does), and the one-time use bolts on the motor mounts.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure what is meant by "doublebelt"? Seems like an odd term. I'd try to clarify what exactly was replaced in the job. Hopefully they replaced the tensioner and rollers (not sure if the 1.8T has others though, I know the TDI does), and the one-time use bolts on the motor mounts.
Just got off the phone with dealership , they went over my bill and parts list the kit included timing belt , tension, and all rollers, and all bolts, and mounts ( that was the part listed as repair kit ) the other listed are obvious , waterpump, thermostat, and ... the double belt was serpentine belt.

·
Registered
950 Posts
breaks and suspension seem fine on my day to day driving, but given it's age is it something I should have looked at ? I am more of a maintenance person vs fix it when it breaks, I guess what I'm asking is , given all the knowledge on this forum, and vdub experience, concerning my year and model is there something I should jump on and have checked before "it's too late"
With the brakes I would suggest having the brake fluid changed and having the pads and rotors inspected. If the pads are worn and needing replacement, I'd say go ahead and replace the rotors at the same time.

I'm surprised the dealer didn't recommend the brake fluid, whenever I have them look at my car they always come up and mention how I should have the fluid changed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With the brakes I would suggest having the brake fluid changed and having the pads and rotors inspected. If the pads are worn and needing replacement, I'd say go ahead and replace the rotors at the same time.

I'm surprised the dealer didn't recommend the brake fluid, whenever I have them look at my car they always come up and mention how I should have the fluid changed.

Thank you! from my knowledge ( working with no maintenance history) I will ask about this , There was a recall on my car -
SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:FOUNDATION COMPONENTS:MASTER CYLINDER

should I ask dealership about recall? I'm assuming based on VIN they would know if recall was handled

1 - 7 of 7 Posts