NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '99 beetle only came with one remote key and it's very old....I got another key fob but it's not exactly the same...The old one's transmitter is 1J0 959 753 F while the new one is 1J0 959 753 DJ. The key fob are the same and I asked a vw dealer to cut it. I'm pretty sure that this model is too old to have a immobilizer. Question is, is there any way to make my vehicle recognize this new transmitter? If not I wanna know what's the difference between them? I know that they are both 315MHz.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
You should go here for information on the keying and programming of same for your '99. Your key is specifically mentioned, I see no mention of the replacement you have. These ppl will also answer questions via email.
sidewinderkey.com

According to this site, your year does not make use of the Immobilizer system, this is confirmed by the Bentley manual which states starting with '00, VW made use of the Immobilizer II system. Note that used keys, once programmed to an Immobilizer system can not be reprogrammed. This is also confirmed in the Bentley.

You don't need to go to the Dealer, and you do not need the key code to duplicate the key. Find an "automotive" locksmith. This is what I did for a complete remote and key for my '05. Complete package (they did the programming of the additional key) $185.00 (w/ Immobilizer system). However, lacking the Immobilizer system, you simply need the locksmith to cut the key. Programming the remotes (not the key to the Immobilizer system is easy) to the car (you need to have all remotes available at the same time) is easy. You can do that yourself.

MORAV

1 - 3 of 3 Posts