NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking into getting one for my 05 convertible and need some info.

is there any difference in going to a circuit city or best buy rather than an independant car audio place? will one do a better job than another?

i've gotten quotes of anywhere from $200 - $500 for an automatic transmission..what do they do differently that costs an extra $300. both include the immobilizer module.

one place told me that VW's are very complex electronically and i'm better off going to a dealer. anyone have experiences or stories with remote starters?

thanks!

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Why not just go to a place that specializes in foreign models, specifically Eurpean? Don't mess with your car. Love your car. Kiss your car. Okay, maybe no kiss, but hug for sure.

I never understood remote start. Can't you just go turn the key all the same?? Just curious. I also wouldn't let Best Buy or Circuit City put so much as a breath on my car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, i like to drag out every last moment of sleep so i'm often racing out of my house without letting my car warm up..it would be nice to push a button from my doorway while i'm putting my shoes on and grabbing something to eat so my seat warmers are already blasting and i'm not freezing my butt off on the way to work.

is there much that you can mess up with these things...i don't really know what it involves.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
I do wonder HOW this will work with the factory immobilizer, which in theory would have a conniption fit if you tried to use a FOB to unlock it while the engine was running [unless the ECU is hacked/reprogrammed/etc].

Furthermore, yes, take it to someone who works on German cars. Not just European cars (ie Honda), take it to someone who KNOWS GERMAN CARS. They can be very, very, very picky and you're asking for a good bit of work.

However, I hope it's really a 30-minute install and the car takes to it like a duck to water. But, I've caught two cars on fire... so I feel I'm well qualified to say: take it to someone who knows a thing or two about german electronics or beware :)

(FYI I also worked for best buy, but not in car audio.. and anyone who qualifies to work any section of the store can work Audio, don't know about Install Bay though.)

·
Super Moderator
5,363 Posts
r0nd3L said:
Would the remote starter even work with manual trannies? I mean, if you leave it in a gear and then it tries to start, something would definately go wrong. As far as immobilizer goes, I have no clue how would it work.
Almost all autostarts are for autos. The few that I've seen for sticks, you have to leave it in neutral or it will keep stalling out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
from what i've read, manuals can be done although not easily.

for my auto beetle it is supposedly a 2-3 hour job. i searched posts on remote starters and noticed not many beetle owners have one.

i've contacted a couple local independent car audio install places who do remote starters for between 200 and 300. i've also found a guy who goes to dealerships and does navigation system, remote start, etc installs and said he would do it for me on the side on a weekend for 250. my only concern is if something goes wrong. he doesn't have a shop so i can't really hunt him down and tell him to fix it 2 years down the line where i can with a retailer.

anyone have experience with car starters? do they go bad? how easily can an install be screwed up?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts