NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent over 3 hours this past Saturday trying to remove the driver side headlight assembly from my 2007 2.5L New Beetle to replace a burned out headlight bulb. I removed the air filter assembly and the wheel well shroud and could not find what was retaining the unit. I can see the wire metal clip on the top back of the assembly and I did release it, but this just seems to release the plastic access plate for replacing the bulbs. It does not seem to release the assembly itself. Once I removed the filter assembly I could see an approximately 3" stamped stainless steel item that looks like a release lever on the side of the assembly and entering it about in the middle. If it is a release lever, no amount of pushing or pulling it in any direction seems to release the assembly. Can someone please post the steps for removal of the assembly for this year? As I'm sure many of you already know, prior years are different in how the assembly is removed. Pictures would of course be even better, but even steps describing what things to turn, push or pull including the direction of said turning, pushing or pulling and the total set of items to remove would help.

-=> Gregg <=-

·
Registered
995 Posts
Try this thread.
http//newbeetle.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2946&highlight=Headlight+removal

It is for an '06, but I think it will work for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, I already looked at that post prior to posting and it will not work. The 2006 is quite different from the 2007. I have seen posts on this board from individuals that have removed the headlight assembly from a 2007. If one of these individuals would be kind enough to describe the process, I would be quite grateful.

-=> Gregg <=-

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I was definitely wrong on the 2007 model being different from the 2006. Actually, models from 06/2005 through 2008 use the same headlight assembly and removal procedure. The key piece of information that I needed aside from knowing the above, is exactly where the unlock bolt is located. As I said above, I looked everywhere for 3 hours and did not notice it. It is located on the headlight assembly just inside the fender toward the FRONT of the assembly and is about 3/16" or so in diameter and sticks out. The black and white un/lock icon is even more frontmost and next to the lock when looking at the passenger side headlight assembly. The driver's side is a mirror image of this. It is located just in front of the battery box and between it and the fender. There is not a lot of space to access it on the driver's side, but it can be reached.

Sorry for the prior misinformation.

-=> Gregg <=-

·
Registered
41 Posts
im trying to remove mine right now for the same reason and i have had three different people try and no one can seem to get it out

·
Registered
1 Posts
2006 New Beetle Headlight Removal

UPDATE TO THIS POST:

I went ahead and removed the passenger assembly and carefully reinstalled it until I heard a nice click, then, using the lock bolt, locked it off. The highbeam came on, which is good to know the wiring harness is working.

I am going to just replace the headlight and hopefully that will take care of things.

Tom
--------------------------------------
Thanks to all the posts on here, it only took me about 45 minutes to figure out how to get the driver's side headlight replaced on our 2006 New Beetle convertible. The "lever" is silver and a bit hard to "hold down" to get the assembly pushed out.

But here is what happened....now the passenger side is out. And, not just the headlight, but the daytime running light and the high-beam.:confused:

I should warn, that I practiced "unlocking" the passenger side and then locked it up before turning the car lights on for testing. But, I did not remove the assembly.

So, the next thing I decided to do, in case the wire harness was not secure, was to remove the whole assembly (using the directions posted on this forum) and replace it so it was snug. This now took about 5 minutes, go figure.:D

Still no lights.

I checked the fuses. No fuses blown, no lights.

What I am prepared to do is take out the assembly once more, check the wiring harness to make sure any of the pins was not broken or bent, and re-assemble.

If anyone has any other thoughts, please post.

Best regards!

Tom
vwwesty79

·
Registered
2 Posts
Getting the lights to work

I had the problem of not getting the lights to work after I'd put the assembly back in. The problem for me was an incomplete contact. I had to really push the headlight in hard and then lock the bolt in place. Only when everything was firmly in place did the light come on. I had to wriggle it and press really hard, though.

Just for anyone trying to use that wonderful 2006 2.5L headlight tutorial... the driver's side is a little different for the 2007 2.5L. The X that you're supposed to press down is hidden beneath the battery and unless you want to remove the whole battery assembly, you'll need to do the following. Look very carefully between the air filter housing and the battery assembly... next to the headlight housing... and you'll see a little silver metal prong. Once you unlock the headlight housing, you'll need to get a long screwdriver (or whatever) and press down gently on that prong. That should release the safety catch and allow you to pull out the headlight housing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank You

I just finished replacing the passenger side headlight on my duaghters 2007 beetle. I had the same problem finding the silver metal tab, but once I used a screw driver to push down on it the assembly came right out. Thanks again... Joe

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi everyone,

I am in the process of trying to replace the passenger side of a NB 2006 bought June of 2006. It's very hard to understand what you're all speaking about considering there are no real descriptions of this "silver tab" or it's exact location.

Could someone help me out here. I would gladly post a shot of the area to target for the head light removal in order for us all to identify the silver tab in question.

But first help me out.

Thanks,

BrianCT

·
Registered
560 Posts
Headlight removal

This is from my 2003, I do not know what the later models look like. Have they changed the way to remove the headlight assembly??? This is from the passenger side headlight.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is located on the headlight assembly just inside the fender toward the FRONT of the assembly and is about 3/16" or so in diameter and sticks out. The black and white un/lock icon is even more frontmost and next to the lock when looking at the passenger side headlight assembly. The driver's side is a mirror image of this. It is located just in front of the battery box and between it and the fender. There is not a lot of space to access it on the driver's side, but it can be reached. -=> Gregg <=-
Oh, bless you, bless you! Bless you all for helping me resolve this!!!

I was just about ready to try removing the battery, air cleaner assembly, and who knows what else to try to access this crazy thing! Interestingly, there's no lock/unlock icon on the passenger side, but it does exist on the driver's side (which is where I was replacing the bulb).

One thing I noticed is that the connection didn't seem as secure when I replaced the assembly. I'd push it in, but then it would disconnect from the electrical connectors. I finally "butt-bumped" the headlight assembly back into place, and it seems to be holding up now. I'm wondering if there was perhaps some kind of latch that just needed that extra force to push into place.

Again, though -- many blessings upon all your houses for this wonderful information!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you all that have posted tips here for this!!! I just went through this to replace wife's driver side headlight and then figured out it was the DRL bulb that is blown! BOY DO I FEEL DUMB!!!:( :rolleyes: :( Oh well, replacing DRL should be quick job now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Went to buy DRL bulb and came to find out it is same H7 as the headlight bulb. So, I was able to reuse the one I had removed for the blown DRL...and it took less than 15 mins :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
2007 Beetle Headlights from hell

I found the 5mm screw and the metal clip below that and despite it all I can only get the assy. loose, it is still stuck. I have pushed that clip in any and all possible direction to no avail...my local dealer charges $180 for the job and I am trying to avoid that since I just replaced the bulb at the dealer less than a year ago.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Changing the bulb in 2007 Beetle

I just finished changing the bulb in the passenger side of our 2007 beetle. The local dealer wanted $100.00 (including bulb) to replace. Once I looked under the hood and read this thread showing the pictures, I was able to do it myself in about 5 minutes. I picked the bulb up at Canadian Tire for $11.99

This is how I did it...Ensure you turn the lock screw clockwise (located at the bottom front of the assembly inside the engine compartment) using a 5 mm socket with a long extension until it stops. Next, push on the shiny metal tab located at the bottom of the assembly and give the assembly as little push so that it comes out the front of the car or you can try and wiggle the lens area until the assembly comes out. Do not force anything. There will be no harness holding onto the light so make sure you do not drop it! When re-installing light assembly, ensure you are lined up and nothing is forced.

Pictures attached.

Happy tinkering..

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tom, I am having the same problem with my girlfriends' '09. As an ex-master import tech, it appears to me as though the design is not as secure as it should be, especially because this could be a safety issue. When you reassemble the headlight assy into the bucket, there is no provision for securing the electrical connector. If you look carefully behind the installed hl assy, you can see the male-female connectors and get a clear assessment of how well the plugs are connected. On my '09, I can see the weatherpac insulationing strip and then some, telling me that, even though the hl assy in in and locked (both front and rear locks), the electrical conn is not fully made. The problen is that the plastic bucket assy is not rigid enough, prevents the secure mating of the male-female plugs. It seems to me that a connector of this priority, safety-wise, should have a positive lock of some sort, like all other electrical connectors. I am going to remove my assy's again and think of a way to space the male side out a little to see if that cures the problem. I am also going to contact VW America to see if they have any retrofits to address this issue.
Mark B

·
Registered
1 Posts
07 headlights

Just replaced both driving lights and now the headlights are on all the time and the DRLs come on when I turn on the headlight switch. I can't even imagine how I accomplished this??? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just replaced both driving lights and now the headlights are on all the time and the DRLs come on when I turn on the headlight switch. I can't even imagine how I accomplished this??? Any help would be appreciated.
Replace the wires in the wrong places?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts