VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My headliners doing that shrinkage thing where it's pulling back and drooping.

I could 80% fix it with pins/glue but would it be so bad to fully remove the headliner and it's cardboard/insulation? Command strip the dome lights and wires in place?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Pull the headliner out in one piece, recover it, then replace it. I could live without the headliner for a few days while I was actively replacing it but long term I wouldn’t care for no head liner.

·
LVM86VT
6 Posts
I removed the ceiling panel, removed the liner, removed the foam / glue with a wire brush. Cleaned all the rest with soapy water (gently). Let it dry. Primed it and painted it in the same color. Looks beautiful and can never ever droop anymore.

·
Registered
1998 NewBee TDi
6 Posts
My headliners doing that shrinkage thing where it's pulling back and drooping.

I could 80% fix it with pins/glue but would it be so bad to fully remove the headliner and it's cardboard/insulation? Command strip the dome lights and wires in place?
Hi,
I took aluminum strap adn formed it to hold up my droopy-drawers headliner for many years and eventually had to concede defeat; depending on where you are located, I had my headliner redone by Wardell in Santa Clara, CA Wardell Auto Interiors & Tops and was able to better color-match the headliner to the rest of the stock interior. One of the things I learned from them was that the New Beetle headliner substrates is one of the best in the industry making it a favored headliner for them to replace... and as you might imagine, it ain't cheap but it will definitely last a lot longer than the OEM headliner which is notoriously cut too short causing it to go into droopy-drawers mode.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts