NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you have to do to get the maf connector on the airbox to come off?
There is a little tab on the connector, but none of the manuals mention what you need to do to get it off.

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
424 Posts
On the intake side of the maf housing, it should be bolted to the airbox. On the engine side, there is a ring clamp holding it to the intake piping. As for the actual sensor, you will need a special 6 point star bit. Or you can just use needle nose pliers. The electrical connection simply unplugs by pressing in on the tabs on the connector and pulling the plug out.

Sent from my DROID X2

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
What do you have to do to get the maf connector on the airbox to come off?
There is a little tab on the connector, but none of the manuals mention what you need to do to get it off.

Thanks for any help
Just push in the tab and pull up. Like any old connectors it is probably stuck. Just wiggle it a bit while pushing in the tab and it should come off.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info.

There is no tab, and that may be what is throwing me.

I suspect the mechanic that worked on it may have broken the tab off.

Know how to get the connector off if that tab is missing?

·
Registered
4,271 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
connector tab missing

those little tabs do brake very easily after they get old and brittle. You can always put it back with a zip-tie like this picture on a coil pack.LOL :p Everybody should have zip-ties,duct tape, wd-40, velcro and JB weld in their tool box and you can fix anything..LOL :D fyi-ahh the tab has been broken on this coil pack connector for three years now......zip tie works like a charm.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
those little tabs do brake very easily after they get old and brittle. You can always put it back with a zip-tie like this picture on a coil pack.LOL :p Everybody should have zip-ties,duct tape, wd-40, velcro and JB weld in their tool box and you can fix anything..LOL :D fyi-ahh the tab has been broken on this coil pack connector for three years now......zip tie works like a charm.
Leave it to Julian to come up with such an ingenius idea! :bigthumb:

I had 2 of those things break as well the last time I changed my spark plugs. I didn't think of Zip Ties like my bright friend here ;) and just purchased new connector housings.
Getting those wire connectors out of the old housing was a pain. I literally had to break the housing in order to get the wires out of them. Putting them into the new housing was a breeze. There is a special tool that makes removing the wires from the housing easy but I didn't want to spend the money for probably a one time job. So it took a bit longer than it would with the proper tool but I still got it done. I may change the other two sometime next spring just to have all new connectors. The new ones are much more pliable and not brittle like the old ones that have dry rotted from age and heat.

Oh, here is a connector for the MAF sensor:

Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Search > Connector Housing > ES#4303 Mass Air Flow Connector Housing - Female Connector - 1J0973775A

Here are the ones for the coils:

Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Search > Connector Housing > ES#10979 Electrical Connector Housing - 4 Pin - 4B0973724

I know I got them cheaper from another online retailer. I think I paid about 5 or 6 bucks a connector.

Here is the Tool you need to easily remove the wire pins out of the connector.
http://vw.snapon.com/SpecialToolsDetail.aspx?itemid=33370028

It's expensive so I didn't buy one. You might try Fry's and see if a set of small tweezers might work?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
special tool

Leave it to Julian to come up with such an ingenius idea! :bigthumb:

I had 2 of those things break as well the last time I changed my spark plugs. I didn't think of Zip Ties like my bright friend here ;) and just purchased new connector housings.
Getting those wire connectors out of the old housing was a pain. I literally had to break the housing in order to get the wires out of them. Putting them into the new housing was a breeze. There is a special tool that makes removing the wires from the housing easy but I didn't want to spend the money for probably a one time job. So it took a bit longer than it would with the proper tool but I still got it done. I may change the other two sometime next spring just to have all new connectors. The new ones are much more pliable and not brittle like the old ones that have dry rotted from age and heat.

Oh, here is a connector for the MAF sensor:

Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Search > Connector Housing > ES#4303 Mass Air Flow Connector Housing - Female Connector - 1J0973775A

Here are the ones for the coils:

Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Search > Connector Housing > ES#10979 Electrical Connector Housing - 4 Pin - 4B0973724

I know I got them cheaper from another online retailer. I think I paid about 5 or 6 bucks a connector.

Here is the Tool you need to easily remove the wire pins out of the connector.
VAS1978/18, RELEASE TOOL

It's expensive so I didn't buy one. You might try Fry's and see if a set of small tweezers might work?
$51 for a tool....:calvin: Do they sell just the pins? maybe folks can just cut the wires off the old plug and re-solder the pins to the wires and put into the new plug. me? i'll stay with the zip-tie as long as it works....LOL :p

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
$51 for a tool....:calvin: Do they sell just the pins? maybe folks can just cut the wires off the old plug and re-solder the pins to the wires and put into the new plug. me? i'll stay with the zip-tie as long as it works....LOL :p
Actually the VW Official tool is way over $100+Dollars so this one is cheap :D But you really don't need that tool to get the pins out. Some people used Paperclips or some tiny pair of pliers and were able to get the pins out. I just cut mine up nice and easy with a dremel tool and safely pulled out all the pins. Sure you can get a connecter with pins already installed and wires that you can splice into the harness but I hate splicing if I don't have to. Besides the connectors with the wires and pins are a lot more expensive. ;)

Here is a Repair kit that actually comes with a tool and new wired connector for only $36.XX bucks. I know it says Jetta 1.8 but it's the same for any 1.8 including Beetle.
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/20...e_electrical/ignition_coil_connector_kit.html

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
kool

Actually the VW Official tool is way over $100+Dollars so this one is cheap :D But you really don't need that tool to get the pins out. Some people used Paperclips or some tiny pair of pliers and were able to get the pins out. I just cut mine up nice and easy with a dremel tool and safely pulled out all the pins. Sure you can get a connecter with pins already installed and wires that you can splice into the harness but I hate splicing if I don't have to. Besides the connectors with the wires and pins are a lot more expensive. ;)

Here is a Repair kit that actually comes with a tool and new wired connector for only $36.XX bucks. I know it says Jetta 1.8 but it's the same for any 1.8 including Beetle.
01 2001 Volkswagen Jetta Ignition Coil Connector Kit - Engine Electrical - Karlyn - PartsGeek
oh okay thanks for the information it's good to have it handy just in case I need it in the future.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts