NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Insert clever epithet
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my second NB, and the previous owner left an assortment window decals that I'm sure I'll have a blast removing this weekend :rolleyes: The ones I'm most worried about are inside the hatch, because they're right over the rear defroster. (And, by the way, who does that?!)

Anyone know of a product that'll degunk it without damaging the defroster? I skimmed other sticker removal threads but didn't see any mention the defroster. I'm concerned about chemical reactions between the solvent and the heating element.

·
Super Moderator
5,339 Posts
Try this, it can be used for removing window tint so may help with the stickers.

Take a piece of black plastic like a trash bag, soak the sticker in 409, and then put the plastic over it (all on the inside). Don't squeeze the 409 out though, let it sit between the plastic and the window. Let it sit in the sun for a little while like 30 min to an hour and it should just peel right off. If you go slow enough no sticky should be left behind. If there is, use rubbing alcohol to take it off.

·
Insert clever epithet
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Holy crap, that actually worked! :eek5: And it doesn't look like the 409 affected the defroster grid, so it's all good.

Two decals came right off, three didn't take too much extra work, and two turned out to be clings, thank goodness.

When I saw the stubborn ones separating when I started peeling, I stopped and reapplied 409 and plastic and waited some more. They came off better the second time, though what had already separated was stuck like that. The sticky goo and plastic that was left came off with a quick scrub from a paper towel and glass cleaner (not saying it had to be glass cleaner, it's just what I used and it worked). Probably helps that it's 90 degrees out there right now. The former owner's toll pass was the "hardest" to get off, because it separated and the circuitry came off in pieces, but even that only took a minute or two of picking and scrubbing.

Thanks, squeebug!

·
Super Moderator
5,339 Posts
Awesome! :banana: glad it worked for you! I'm going to try it before long to remove my tint.

·
Bugabu
62 Posts
The 409 in the hot sun breaks down the adhesive on the decal or window tinting. It the heat from the sun that make the 409 work. I just used this trick on my rear hatch of my '03 NB and after a 20 mins of hot sun on the tint it came off removing all of the adhesive and minimal clean up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts