NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 2.0 Beetle. I'm replacing the radiator (and radiator support) and have run into a snag. I cannot get the upper radiator mounts off of the old radiator. I was expecting to be able to reuse them and they appear to be in good shape. Is there a trick to getting them off? Maybe they are just stuck on there since they have been on for nearly 20 years. I didn't want to force them too hard and break them. Or maybe they cannot be reused? The bottom ones came right off (well, one was missing already since that part of the radiator mount was missing.)
I know I can get them on line for relatively cheap, but that takes time and I need to get the job done. Any help or ideas are appreciated.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I don't recall anything special about them from when I replaced my radiator. I think they just slide on the pins molded in to the radiator. Try twisting them to break them free from the pin.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try that but am not sure how much they will twist...don't want to break the rubber bushing part. As a side note, I was at a part yard and checked on a few cars there to see if they would pull off, and they had the same issue, stuck on. I'm guessing after enough years the mount and plastic stub just "bond". I'll also try a little blast of lubricant, maybe that will penetrate a bit. If not, may just need to order some new ones.
Also, I'm having the same issue with the plastic hose connections...can't get them off the old radiator and they are just supposed to pull off after removing the wire clip.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
When I replaced my radiator I replaced the mounts and hoses as well. The plastic hose ends get brittle and can break. My daughter had one of the heater hose plastic ends fail while she was driving and it left her stranded when all the coolant dumped out. Even if you do get the plastic end off there is an o-ring that will need to be replaced.

·
y2k Reflex Beetle 1.8t
100 Posts
The part that's exterior plastic / interior rubber? Its one piece. No special retaining trick, they're probably just baked on. If you can get the part online, it must be removable.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
The plastic ends come with the hose for some brands. Based on my experience I always buy replacements that have the plastic ends.

If you are removing the plastic end from a good radiator you need to be very careful since the radiator's plastic tank is probably brittle as well. Use penetrating oil and work it around gently until you are able to pry it off. It is keyed on so it cannot be twisted very far, but it can still be moved a bit to allow the penetrating oil to work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses. I was able to get the mounts and the hose connectors off. Patience, wiggling, and brute force did the trick for both.
So...I am now putting everything back together and hit a new snag. In addition to replacing the radiator I am replacing the broke radiator support. There is a metal plate that goes across the top, and definitely need this piece to hold the hood latch assembly on. I can't get it separated from the plastic support. The top part has two connectors that appear to be riveted...and that is where the bolts go in to hold it together. Cannot get the two rivet-like bolt receptors off. Any ideas? Anyone have this problem? Suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I think the whole thing is considered to be one part, so you need to replace the assembled metal and plastic pieces. Are you getting the replacement from a junk yard?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Replacement not from a junk yard. New radiator and new plastic radiator support. Perhaps the metal piece could have been bought separately. I watched a bunch of videos on replacing the radiator. None of them mentioned replacing the support even when they were cracked/broken. Goes to show you can't learn everything on YouTube. I did get them apart, finally, by grinding out the topes of the grommet-like pieces and pushing them through, replacing them with bolts/nuts/washers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
So...finally got everything back together, and the coolant. Still have a leak! ugh! Not the radiator, but looks like it may be coming from the motor. Can't see exactly, but I see the drops forming on the front side of the silver, ribbed, cooling-looking thing that is above the transmission, near where it all attached to the motor. Next is finding some engine diagrams to figure out what that part is and hopefully figuring out where the leak is coming from. Pretty sure it is not leaking from any tubes or anywhere above that. Hoping something isn't cracked and it's a seal that can "easily" be replaced. As usual, any ideas on what/where to look are appreciated. And thanks for all responses so far.
Edit - Did some searching and found out the silver thing above the tranny is the transmission oil cooler. I assume the engine coolant does not flow through this, that the tranny oil does..so this may not be the source of the leak, just where it is showing. Thanks in advance for ideas on what it could be and where to look...

·
Registered
13,727 Posts
The plastic coolant flanges; are one of the most common leak points in the new beetle coolant system: (one comes off the head; the other comes off the front of the engine):

You might considor upgrading the flanges from failure prone stock plastic to cast aluminum:

cast aluminium coolant flange 06A121132C VW New Beetle All 2.0 1998-2005

https://www.google.com/search?clien....193823...0.0..1.0.0.......4....1.-TIJs0GxIt8

06A 121 121 C aluminum thermostat cover Thermostat coolant flange:

https://www.google.com/search?clien.....0.0..53078...0.0..0.0.0.......0.D3R-z0qyoPQ

·
Registered
13,727 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm thinking it may be the flange on the driver's side/rear. I didn't see anything leaking on the front of the engine. And from where the drip "appears" to be coming from, I'm hoping that is it. Seems like that flange is somewhere right above the transmission oil cooler. There is a lot of build up on the tranny oil cooler and that side of the motor, which I though might have been from an oil spill, but it might be cooked on coolant. Well, time to take out the air box, etc. that is on top of the flange and take a look. I will report back what I find.
And thanks for the part recommendations.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Plastic flange

Most of the time it's just the O-ring on the flange or the o-ring on the temperature sensor those deteriorate with time/heat. I had to replace both on mine last year, remember it's a plastic flange so go easy on those screws/nuts holding the flange or you'll crack it. I believe they take 7 Lb pounds of torque, and it's best to use a small inch-pounds range scale torque wrench instead of footpounds. Good luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: I was able to get in and inspect the flange. I don't see any wetness around it or any of the tubes attached to it, nor the two coolant tubes on top of the transmission oil cooler. The two banjo bolts on top of the trans oil cooler also look good. So, following gravity, I now suspect either the trans oil cooler is cracked or one of the bottom seals is leaking. I'm thinking it may be cracked, because I it looks like the bottom seals probably hold in the transmission fluid. I'm not sure what color the transmission fluid is, but what I'm seeing is clean, red fluid. I'd expect the trans fluid to be dirtier and likely a darker oil color.
Next is to pull the trans oil cooler and inspect for cracks. Replace if necessary and replace all the O rings.
I'll let you know...thanks for following and the suggestions...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bingo! Transmission Oil Cooler is cracked. Took it off, cleaned off all of the crud from years of sloppy oil changes, Filled it back up with distilled water and found the leak right away. I cannot see an actual crack so it must be super small, but there is a nick in the cooler and a very consistent drip from that spot.
Now to get the new cooler and O rings...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts