VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this is driving me bonkers......lol.

Have the headliner already out of my 1999 Beetle (no sunroof)
The flipdown sunglasses holder has two phillips screws that secure it to the roof (got those)

There is a black plastic ring on the backside of the headliner. There are two phillips head screws that are still holding it on so you can't slide the holder out. Problem is that the screws are covered by the door itself so you can't get to them.

Older car, brittle plastic, ****s gonna break, please help

Bernie

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.
I figured it out for those that may have to do this in the future.

The two phillips head screws are buried behind the tray so no special tool in the world can access them.

The solution is that the entire door / tray assembly pulls straight out from the mounting assembly and once out you can access the other two screws. At first I thought I had to depress little tabs on either side as that's what they looked like but once out I realized it was just a push in pull out assembly.

When dealing with old plastic especially, I like to understand what it is I am doing to minimize the broken pieces that inherently get broken.

Thanks for chiming in though. Hope this little thread helps out the next guy who is trying to strip their headliner to have it recovered.

Bernie

·
Registered
488 Posts
Yep, was going to post the solution but you discovered it yourself , don't know why Bentley doesn't cover this. Also a heat gun works wonders for relaxing mexiplastic fasteners.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts