VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
03 New Beetle, 1.8T I'm in the middle of doing my timing belt. I've got all 7 bolts out on the right side engine mount and have the first bracket out (the two piece one with the rubber). The other one is loose, and I've been jacking the "loose" engine up and down, but I don't see how (insert your favorite expression here) to get the lower bracket out. Engine up? Engine down? How does it come out? There is a stainless flexi hose that seems to interfere a bit, but I'd rather not have to take that thing out. The lower mount seems so close to cooperating and slipping out.

Does anyone have a trick they would like to share to this timing belt newbie? Thanks! Dave

·
Notorious DOM
68 Posts
You're talking about the piece that bolts on the engine? Post a pic from a couple of angles. I just did my 2.0 and it was pretty straightforward. Took a bit of fussing to get it at the right angle, though. I've never owned a 1.8, so there might be some differences on this part.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mount

Merlin- Yeah it's the bottom one. I didn't see any way it would come out of there.

Came back to it early this morning, and after another half hour of bumping it around, I decided to remove the tensioner (2 bolts, part with the little piston in there). Was gonna replace that anyway. With that tensioner out-da-way, the engine mount easily dropped down and out of there.

Stuff you learn after you've done one of these (which I've never done)!! Guess I solved my own problem......Dave

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
good

Merlin- Yeah it's the bottom one. I didn't see any way it would come out of there.

Came back to it early this morning, and after another half hour of bumping it around, I decided to remove the tensioner (2 bolts, part with the little piston in there). Was gonna replace that anyway. With that tensioner out-da-way, the engine mount easily dropped down and out of there.

Stuff you learn after you've done one of these (which I've never done)!! Guess I solved my own problem......Dave
On the 1.8t it's a little more complicated than the 2.0
I did my timing belt a couple years ago but was gonna tell you to remove the tensioner out first. Guess what? be careful on the installation back in because as I recall you have to install the mount but put the tensioner in place but don't mounted yet because if you don't you'll wind up having to remove one or the other again.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mount

esse- I’m not following your last message totally.

Currently I’ve got my new water pump in there, the timing belt in (with my paint marks correct on the gears) and my roller tensioner in there. I was going to (tonight) put that big mount in there, maybe hang it high with some wire, then install the tensioner with the little 5mm bolt, back out and remove the bolt to make everything tight. Then lower and bolt that whacky bracket on there. Sounds easy, right?

From your picture, it looks like you have the same car as us (17” wheels in what I call the “flower” pattern). Ours is an 03 with 201k on the clock and the color matched seats. Ours is red, however. 5 speed turbo- I like that. Dave

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
tensioner

esse- I’m not following your last message totally.

Currently I’ve got my new water pump in there, the timing belt in (with my paint marks correct on the gears) and my roller tensioner in there. I was going to (tonight) put that big mount in there, maybe hang it high with some wire, then install the tensioner with the little 5mm bolt, back out and remove the bolt to make everything tight. Then lower and bolt that whacky bracket on there. Sounds easy, right?

From your picture, it looks like you have the same car as us (17” wheels in what I call the “flower” pattern). Ours is an 03 with 201k on the clock and the color matched seats. Ours is red, however. 5 speed turbo- I like that. Dave
I was saying it's the same process installing back in I believe you can't mount the tensioner if you put the engine mount first, Or vice versa.I just can't remember which go's in first it's been 2 years since I did mine.

same wheels? cool. Great fun little cars to drive I enjoy driving mine around town to run errands. I have 205k miles

1 - 7 of 7 Posts