VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so thanks to this forum I found the answer to the oil showing up in my coil "tunnel" as a worn head gasket (one of my more simple fixes on this car).
HOWEVER- in removing the crap on top I found that my air mass meter hose (like $110 replacement) is cracked to hell. So I have to replace it.
Does anyone know what is holding the bottom of this hose in place as it is WAAAAY down and I cannot see a clamp on it. It feels like some sort of wire clamp?
Any advice on how to get to it and get it off short of yanking on the hose?

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
intercooler

are you talking about the pancake hose right before the intercooler? (pancake hose) I usually just tear up those VW metal ty-wraps and use my own hose clamps or in this case you can even use a large plastic zipp-ty. The pancake pipe is also held on by a 10mm nut mounted to the frame.

If you are talking about the big rubber hose coming off the airbox where the maf is mounted inside than I believe it's held on by regular hose clamps. A good pair of channel locks pliers will work good there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya, it's the big one dropping down off the airbox. I feel some kind of clamp on it but cannot tell what it is. Of course, can't get at it from underneath.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
okay

Ya, it's the big one dropping down off the airbox. I feel some kind of clamp on it but cannot tell what it is. Of course, can't get at it from underneath.
you need to remove the wipers, plastic cowl and rain shield that's mounted right next to the windshield. pretty easy to remove it can be done in less than 30 minutes. you'll be surprised how much more room you'll have to work behind that area. I have removed mine many times but don't have those steps available so you might want Do a google search to find out those steps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts