NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Beetlemaniac
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The center muffler on my '98 New Beetle split open on the seam on top. Rather than spend the money for a new one, did anyone ever replace one with a piece of straight muffler pipe and not a new muffler? I wonder how much louder it would be? I will find out tomorrow. :)

·
Beetlemaniac
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well the center muffler is gone! I used a 2" to 2" piece of muffler tubing and 2 original VW band clamps. The tubing cost $20 at the parts store, the new clamps were $40 from the dealer. The sizes of the tubing were perfect, the Cat output side is approx 2 1/4" O.D. which is the same as the swaged up size of the tubing, and the muffler output size is super close to the 2" tubing. The clamps worked perfectly. Makes a difference, not too super loud, but it sounds really VERY nice! Like a throaty 4cyl in a sports car. At speed on the road it sounds awesome. Seems to run much better with less back pressure, kind of like a cat back system. I don't expect any CEL issues because the mod is after the 2nd oxygen sensor. I recommend this mod to anyone with center muffler issues!

·
Beetlemaniac
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I should add that I cut the muffler off on the rear, at the seam right behind it, where it joined to the tailpipe. The seam there guided the sawzall perfectly straight. This left enough of a straight section for the new clamp to grab onto. This is the way VW should have marketed the car! It really does sound great.

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
This is the way VW should have marketed the car! It really does sound great.
im sure EPA would love to debate that statement...

glad youre enjoying your new mod. i do love a throaty bug.

-jd

1 - 5 of 5 Posts