NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to remove the big silver button without breaking the bastard? Bentley doesn't cover that, it shows how to take the cover off - and by doing this without the button removed destroys the retainment tangs.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm reviving this thread because I came up with the solution to this puzzle and wish to share it. First of all let's head over to a salvage yard. Here we find an intact ebrake boot

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dipstick's end has a perfect shape to get under one of the button's two tangs. With your thumb rock the button toward the opposite tang so that you can get the dipstick some room to get under the targeted tang. Once underneath, a slight twist will free the button

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dipstick will also defeat the adhesive on the trim ring. By sliding it around the circumference you can free it from the handle. It is keyed in a way so don't try twisting it off. Pull it instead.

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Once you have a button in hand, you can put it into a handle that is missing it's button in seconds. Just make sure the two tangs are in their corresponding grooves in the boot.

·
Member Since 2002
135 Posts
Mine just broke off on its own. The two prongs broke off of it. I tried adhering it back on, but was unsuccessful. I should had tried looking for a replacement part, but never did.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ended up breaking the tab off the bigger silver trim piece for the ebrake. How did you get that off without breaking anything? And as far as the button goes. If you are looking at it from the front you can see a small opening at the bottom of the button. I used a pick and ended up getting it to pop out ( towards the dash board ).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts