NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, hope you are enjoying your holidays :)

I have a 2001 1.8t, and wanted to buy a repair manual. Is there a huge difference between the 2000 and 2001 engines? Can I get away with buying Chilton's 98-00 Manual? Or should I get the Bentley's manual, which includes the '01 1.8t and treat it like the Bible?

Thanks!

·
20V GTRS
1,120 Posts
Go with the Bentley. There were suttle changes in the cars from 00 to 01. Depending on what part of the 01 model year you have the motor can vary from the 00 year model. I have 2 '01 model year beetles and the motors are different. One is the APH (which does not have the auto cam adjusting) and an AWV (which does have the auto cam adjusting.) Also the ECU coding is different. If you go with the Bentley it will cover the 98-01 model years.

As far as a bible, I would treat it more as a very good guide but like any printed material there is no 100% perfect manuals. So far everything I have needed mine for has been almost exact as the dealership manuals, I happen to be lucky enough to have a VW tech for a roommate so I get to double check specs and stuff.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NBTurboFreak said:
Go with the Bentley. There were suttle changes in the cars from 00 to 01. Depending on what part of the 01 model year you have the motor can vary from the 00 year model. I have 2 '01 model year beetles and the motors are different. One is the APH (which does not have the auto cam adjusting) and an AWV (which does have the auto cam adjusting.) Also the ECU coding is different. If you go with the Bentley it will cover the 98-01 model years.

As far as a bible, I would treat it more as a very good guide but like any printed material there is no 100% perfect manuals. So far everything I have needed mine for has been almost exact as the dealership manuals, I happen to be lucky enough to have a VW tech for a roommate so I get to double check specs and stuff.
Hey, I am in Houston also. Where do you have your mechanical work done? Or do you do it all yourself? I am going to check out BAR tuning for a couple of things, have you had any experience with those guys?

Thanks

Josh

·
20V GTRS
1,120 Posts
I do about 95% at home else my roomate takes it to work with him and he just does it on a lift. I have only used Mike for getting the chip done. If you need help with work my roommate and myself are willing to help out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NBTurboFreak said:
I do about 95% at home else my roomate takes it to work with him and he just does it on a lift. I have only used Mike for getting the chip done. If you need help with work my roommate and myself are willing to help out.

The thing I could use the most help with is diagnostics. Besides getting the timing belt service done, I have that issue with loosing oil (related to cracked hose??), hissing sound that sounds like it is related to the braking system, and just checking areas that might need repairs. How much do you guys charge for that kind of help?

The hose I mentioned above is located to your immediate right once you get the plate of the engine body. It comes in from the right, and goes directly into the engine block. I always assumed it was related to air intake, but from some of the information I gathered - it may have a lot to do with my oil loss. I could use the help, since I really want to start doing my own mechanical work. If you can email me a picture of your engine, I can circle exactly which hose I am refering to. Which part of Houston are you guys at?

Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts