1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
5/23/10 <3
11,480 Posts
What is going on with the transmission?

·
Registered
16,162 Posts
Many have repaired them; correct diagnosis, is key and then, that helps guide your to the next step, doing needed repairs. Common issues are: shifter assembly broken/defective, failed sensors, damage wiring harness internal/external, worn valve body with sticking shift solenoids and then worst case scenario, removal, total disassembly of the trans, all parts evaluated, replace needed parts and essentially a rebuild.

First step, is always; to scan with a factory vw level scan tool like vcds by ross tech and then, look at live data, to confirm, any known or possible issues.

Testing Auto Transmission with VCDS Software (via VAGCOM Cable)

·
5/23/10 <3
11,480 Posts
When its hot? Cold? Every gear? Just certain ones? How many miles? Have you done a fluid and filter change?

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
I had a pair of 2002 Jetta's TDI GLS with the 01M transmission and they both failed. The first at 75K and I replaced with a new one from VW. Car got T-Boned and totaled a couple of years after it was replaced. The second one failed at 146K and I elected to do a 5-Speed swap and have been happy with that decision 12 years later and another 120K miles and still going strong. Those were the only major component failures I experienced in 40 plus years of VW ownership.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts