NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do these prices sound fair?

they quoted me at $505 for the water pump and timing belt and 200 for the parking brake cables and another 400 for rotors and pads

does that sound reasonable on that?

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
NO!
For the water pump and timing belt change, if it includes parts seems fair. At least in this part of the country.
Why new brake cables? Are the old ones bad? $400 for just rear rotors and pads is a bit much. Not all that hard to do yourself. For a first time, plan on 90 minutes. Longer if cold. Cold stiff fingers just don't work the way they should.

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hannaco said:
NO!
For the water pump and timing belt change, if it includes parts seems fair. At least in this part of the country.
Why new brake cables? Are the old ones bad? $400 for just rear rotors and pads is a bit much. Not all that hard to do yourself. For a first time, plan on 90 minutes. Longer if cold. Cold stiff fingers just don't work the way they should.
parking brake cables are bad

$600 is for ALL the brakes..front/rear/rotors/pads...not bad considering i was quoted $400 to buy all that stuff seperatly through autozone

price includes parts and labor on the water pump and timing belt

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
jazzcat said:
$600 is for ALL the brakes..front/rear/rotors/pads...not bad considering i was quoted $400 to buy all that stuff seperatly through autozone
I do not buy anything for the Beetle through a FLAPS. Buy online and you'll save a buttload of money.

www.worldimpex.com
www.ecstuning.com
www.1stvwparts.com

Those are my favorites.

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Porkchop said:
I do not buy anything for the Beetle through a FLAPS. Buy online and you'll save a buttload of money.

www.worldimpex.com
www.ecstuning.com
www.1stvwparts.com

Those are my favorites.
FLAPS? :confused:

the places that i take my car wont let me bring my own parts and i dont have the time to do it myself right now...car should be done and ready to go today

·
Μολλων Λα&
90 Posts
I was quoted $425 (CA) labor plus the 250 I paid for my own parts from ECS for the same, T/B, serpentine belt, thermostat, water pump, and radiator flushing to find out that the timing belt isn't due for replacement until 105K miles...Does that sound right? I know guys here replace theirs a lot sooner. He is an independent guy, not affiliated with VW. My manual states to replace at 60K but only for the TDI...
Hammer

·
Registered
47 Posts
I pulled out the temp sensor which is about as easy a job as they come. I found that I had to put it back in before the system was completely full though or it would pour out. This is what I was told to do by others on the ORG and it worked great for me. SInce I was going to remove the sensor I replaced it too, like 5 bucks from ECS and supossedly the old ones are prone for failure. What's not?

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jbehm said:
I pulled out the temp sensor which is about as easy a job as they come. I found that I had to put it back in before the system was completely full though or it would pour out. This is what I was told to do by others on the ORG and it worked great for me. SInce I was going to remove the sensor I replaced it too, like 5 bucks from ECS and supossedly the old ones are prone for failure. What's not?
does that have anything to do with the fans?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts