NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help, I've got a 98 new Beetle. Purchased for my granddaughter. It has 85K miles, 5 speed.
I've replaced the timing belt / water pump.
Then while still in the shop a no start situation got me to replace the battery, then fuel pump.
I drive 2 miles from the shop on way home, the bug got hot. The cooling fans aren't working right. This got the electric fans and the two thermal switches replaced.
In short a money pit.
I feel like it's all sorted out finally. (I've drove it some 150 miles.)
Me not paying attention... I drive it off a curb in my driveway. To a tremendous "thunk"! I knock a 6 x 3 in. hole in the oil pan. I drive it some 5 miles before realizing the "magic genie" light on the dash dosen't give me 3 wishes.
My mechanic replaced the oil pan. (He's used a majority of OEM VW parts as "he doesn't really trust aftermarket parts")
Now the oil light comes on after starting, it will go off if you race the engine.
He's thinking an overhaul.
I suggested a used engine, he said it's my $$$.
I asked about just dropping pan and put in new bearings?
He said, "he wouldn't trust it and it probably will have head / valve issues.
My question "anyone have any luck putting in new rod bearings?
I'm thinking of unloading / recouping some $ and starting with another car for her.
Sorry so long, my 1st VW since a 77 Rabbit!

·
Registered
11,411 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems; much depends on your budget and condition of your volkswagen. How much do you currently have invested in the car (before engine repairs/replacement), how long do you want to keep it going long term and what would the total cost of repairs be?

One of the primary problems we see around here; is the automatic transmissions failing and if you have a automatic, i would not recommend engine repairs, as the auto is likely to fail soon there after and you will be spending a substantial amount of money to repair/rebuild that parts of the car. Another concern, is how much you need to spend on the car; overall, not just the engine, to make it a reliable daily driver. When having professional repairs done; it doesn't take much, to spend more then the car is worth (new beetle's are selling for not very much these days; for the same amount of money spent on repairs, you maybe able to find a newer car in better condition).

Much to think about and discuss; tell us more, what you are thinking and what your ultimate goals are with the vehicle. Fill us in on the details and we can go from there, thanks! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Billymade,
Thanks for the response. I've got more $$$ then the car is worth IMHO.
Before I put the hole in the pan I was feeling good about it, my granddaughter really liked it so I figured if she gets a couple years out of it it would be ok.
Now with low oil pressure I can't see putting $1,500 to $3,500 more for a used or rebuilt engine.
I don't really trust the car now ( for my 'GD'.)
So I'm thinking, do a compression test and a leak down test.
If those look good or little variations I'll drop the pan and check cylinder walls. No scoring or burns.
I'll put in new bearings and drive it some then trade it for something or sale it.

·
Registered
11,411 Posts
Ok, you are going to work with what you have and try to do the repairs needed without replacing or removing the engine. We have had others try and do the same thing and most of the time, had some successes, then some fail. As always, your milage may vary; much depends, on the amount of damage to the engine, you attention to detail and doing the necessary repairs, in the correct way (a little luck; doesn't hurt either)! :)

Here are free online vw service manuals; that you can use in the meantime, to research things like compression and leakdown testing, engine rebuilding, specs, etc.:

for vw parts lookup; try vw's part site and online ekta:

www.parts.vw.com

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Billymade,
Thanks for the assist, it's good to know it's been done with "some" success.
I've been looking at "you tube" and reading as many "comments" on oil leak and such.
Haven't seen anyone try it. At this point I really have nothing to lose....
Thanks again

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FYI
It appears that the "main bearings" go before the "rod bearings".
My observation from "you tube"

·
Registered
11,411 Posts
Well, it is hard to know; until you tear things apart and inspect for damage, to see what is actually going on? We can speculate but real world inspection for damage; will reveal, what you need to do and repair, replace or have machined/rebuilt. Whats next? :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My plan is to drop the pan, do a visual on the rods & mains.
Then a lil plasti gage is in order...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts