NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Augusta
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine started cutting out a week ago while driving. Smooth cut out, no stall.
Engine Ignition/distributor check engine light came on. We replaced the crank speed sensor since that seemed to be the issue.
Now when we put the keys in the ignition the car won't turn over nor engage the starter. But all the electrical works and the battery was on charge all night. We also replaced the fuel filter and checked the fuel pump.

I seriously am stumped!! I've called just about every mechanic in about a 100 mile radius.

Any ideas!!

could it be the temp sensors??

:( :confused: :confused:

·
5/23/10 <3
11,122 Posts
Sounds like maybe something with the install didn't go right. Are all of your connections good with the sensor?

What was the actual code thrown when the CEL was on?

·
Augusta
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No the only code that the check engine light said was the ignition/distributor failure. We looked it up though and it said my 99' beetle didn't't have a distributor but it has a box. Yes, we double checked the sensor to make sure it was secured. And all the cables are attached.

Could it be the temp sensor? At this point I'm thinking something else has failed

Beforehand, when the engine would at least run, after it cut itself off and sat, we could crank it up after it had cooled down. So something was over heating and the biggest clue had been that sensor.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,122 Posts
Well, knowing the actual code being thrown would be helpful (should be a Pxxxx code, like P0300). Descriptions are often wrong with generic scanners. And you're right, there isn't a distributor, so to speak, but a coil pack. And if the code was pointing to that, then why did you replace the crank sensor rather than the coil pack?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts