NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend used my 2003 Beetle to charge his scooter, it drained battery and did other damage so I replaced ECM with a used one and bought a reconditioned battery. It started up and was running good, till the next day it would not start, I had to reset the ECM to get it to start again. I have done a lot of reading and am still confused about what to do about this. Since replacing the ECM my OBD 2 scanner will not communicate with the car. I also purchased Fixd hoping this will help me out ...It will not communicate with the car either. Does this ECM require reprogramming due to an immobilizer and do I need to have the keys reprogrammed too? Any help in this matter is so greatly appreciated. I am going to be starting cancer treatment very soon and would like to solve this before I start since I will probably not be feeling well for a some time. Thank you in advance:unsure:

·
Registered
12,723 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
I’m surprised it started and stayed running without the immo delete. Usually the car will start and run for 3 seconds or so and shut off. When my daughter bought her bug the cluster was dead so I found a cluster on eBay had an immo delete done and her car has run fine since.

One thing it is advisable to do is pull your cluster and either use black paint or put a piece of black tape over the immo bulb as the light will continually flash. It’s actually quite easy to do.

So I went looking for the YouTube video to link and show you how. After I found it I realized billy had already link to it above. The second video of the two.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These videos go over the basics:

A immo delete is another option:

Reflect tuning offers this immo defeat service:

Thank you for helping me out. So to be sure what you are saying is I have to get the immo delete done and also the keys done by a locksmith. Im pretty sure ill be needing to get this done at a shop since I don't have the right equipment to do the delete. Do I need to get a new cluster? Oh I forgot to mention that I no longer have the original ECM, I hope that's not a problem. thanks again

·
5/23/10 <3
11,076 Posts
If you do an immo delete, nothing needs to be done with the keys. You only need to mess with the keys if you are going through the process to actually match the ECU to the immobilizer. And it can be done yourself but you need the proper tools (Vag-Tacho and VCDS). An immo delete is done on the ECU. You may be able to find a local tuner who can do it but you'll likely need to send out the ECU to someone to do the job. Reflect Tuning is one who does this a lot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you do an immo delete, nothing needs to be done with the keys. You only need to mess with the keys if you are going through the process to actually match the ECU to the immobilizer. And it can be done yourself but you need the proper tools (Vag-Tacho and VCDS). An immo delete is done on the ECU. You may be able to find a local tuner who can do it but you'll likely need to send out the ECU to someone to do the job. Reflect Tuning is one who does this a lot.
ok thank you I am going to give Reflect Tuning a call

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would have done that a long time ago if I had lots of spare money but times are difficult right now

·
Registered
703 Posts
What exactly did you ask him to do? I need an immo delete on my 2003 vw beetle? I can’t imagine why he wouldn’t make arrangements for you to send it to him.

·
Registered
703 Posts
This guy has been on tdiclub for years.

I think these guys can also do a delete, and I’ve bought parts from them over the years, I have a large radiator fan on my bench waiting to be put in when I get a chance that I purchased from them as a sale item.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts