NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my steering wheel with a junk yard factory steering wheel. I followed all the instructions and aligned the wheel to the best of my ability. Honestly it feels like the wheel is about 1 groove off of the perfect spot, but that is something like 1/32".

This may be a coincidence, but it seems like my alignment is off a hair since I replaced my steering wheel. I don't see how that could be because I would think you could mount the wheel on sideways and it would still drive straight.

This is just a wild estimation, but it seems like my car will veer to the left about 1 foot for every 50-75 yards of travel on the highway. This is with my hands OFF of the wheel letting it drive where it wants to.

Would putting the wheel on 1 groove cause the alignment to be off?

Maybe the alignment has always been off and I just noticed it after the replacement.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
I would suspect alignment has always been off. Get it checked. Your swap of the wheel shouldn't have affected the alignment at all.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When doing an alignment, do they align the wheels to the steering wheel or just align the wheels to go straight?

·
Registered
11 Posts
The steering wheel plays no part in the alignment of the tires.
Well.... When they align the car they will center the steering wheel to set the toe. The wheeling being off one tooth won't be or cause an issue.. If the steering wheel is quite a bit off it can cause some issues because the steering rack won't be centered.

So the steering whee plays a part in setting/checking the alignment of the car but won't have an effect on whether it drives straight or not.

Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts