VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I need to replace the door lock mechanism in my left door. I have been shopping around but I want to know which brands are good, and which brands should be avoided? I'd go for a VW replacement part but it is expensive. There are many other brands that are more affordable but I worry about the quality. What can people tell me about the quality of the various brands?

Thanks!

Patrick

·
5/23/10 <3
11,416 Posts
I got an OEM unit off of ECS for around $100 for my GTI. I looked into getting a cheaper one, but with the amount of work required to get to it, I didn't want to do it again in a few months because of poor quality. I figure, the OEM one lasted 10 years so I'm in good shape.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The original problem was not being able to open the door from the outside but I could from the inside. I already took it apart and found 2 broken pieces of plastic jamming the gears. The solder joints all looked good. Now I have the opposite problem. I can open the door from the outside but not the inside, and the door can be opened without the keyfob being used to unlock the car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts