NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend, the PS door mirror glass fell off while we were running some errands. I figure the extended cold weather spell we've experienced thus far this winter was too much for the adhesive holding the mirror glass to the support plate. Needless to say, the mirror glass was toast after it fell off! After getting home from our errands, I started looking for sources with replacement mirror glass. RockAuto, PartsGeek, and others all carried the mirror glass. But I also found this eBay Seller (Car Mirror Bazar) that carried mirror glass for a lot of vehicle applications. And a plus in my book was they offered full-face adhesive for the installation. Most just offer the round adhesive patches to hold the glass on the support plate which didn't seem to be a long-term, reliable repair. Ordered a PS replacement and received it within a couple of days. As soon as weather warms up, I'll repair the PS mirror.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Temperature got up to low 60's on Tuesday, so I tackled replacing the PS door mirror on our 2006 New Beetle Ragtop.

Per the Factory Service Manual, it was easy to remove the mirror backing plate from the mirror housing. I simply pushed the top of the backing plate into the housing and used a large, plastic trim removal tool to pry up on the bottom of the backing plate. (Note: I did use a small rag to protect the bottom edge of the mirror housing to avoid the possibility of chipping any paint along the bottom edge. Service Manual recommended doing that.) Once I heard the backing plate pop from its mounting on the mirror's remote motor, and I then simply pried (wiggled) the mirror backing plate all along its edge to gradually get it to come free from the motor assembly. Once free, I disconnected the heated mirror wiring and took the backing plate inside to attach the new mirror.

The new mirror glass and its full-face, double-sided adhesive were an exact fit to the backing plate. Once I cleaned off the backing plate of any foreign material, I attached the adhesive to the backing plate, leaving the protective cover for the mirror-side in place. Once the adhesive was secured, I removed the mirror-side protective cover and carefully positioned the new glass against it. Had to make sure that placing the new glass was precisely done only once so the adhesive surface wasn't damaged by having to remove the mirror glass & placing it again in proper alignment. I then carefully applied pressure to the mirror & backing plate to secure the mirror with the adhesive.

Once I felt the mirror glass was properly secured, I took the assembly back outside to the car & re-attached it to the mirror remote motor. I re-connected the heated element wiring and then aligned the backing plate with the remote motor. Then by applying firm pressure across the face with my palm, it simply snapped back into place.

Whole process took me about 30 minutes. One of the few service repairs I've come across in any factory service manual that went exactly as it was described. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts