NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 2001 2.0. A while ago the ecu died so I replaced it. Didn't have to do an immo delete because it worked right away.
But after several days of driving it it now no longer wants to start (turns over fine). I tried to run diag on the ecu but there is no communication with it.
So I tried a couple of other ecu's which I have and i know to b good but none of them are able to communicate. And while I run the diag the ignition has to be on but the brake light indicator, the battery and oil lamp keep flashing along with an annoying peep every 2 sec.
i don't have a clue what could be wrong. Does anybody? Help please!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Check fuse #12, it’s a 7.5 amp fuse, it controls power to the obd port. It could be just a matter of a blown fuse. There are only 1 or 2 7.5 amp fuses in the panel so it’s easy to find.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All fuses are good and I replaced the battery to ground cable.
The fact that the brake, battery and oil indicator all flash must mean something but I don't what.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
12.87 volts.
My headlights come on bright. heater, windshield wipers, etc all work

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I put the battery on charger over night but it made no difference neither did jumping it with another car. Didn't really expect it to since the headlights came on just fine.

·
Registered
562 Posts
12.87 is a fully charged battery, it doesn’t appear the battery is the issue. Did you loosen any grounds? Like the big one from the battery to the top of the bell housing? Are all the grounds clean and tight?

I’m not sure what is going on with the ecu that you didn’t have to do an immo delete, unless the “ new” ecu already had a delete and because of that it worked for several days.

Reseat all the ecu connectors and make sure none of the pins are bent or broken.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Replaced battery to ground cable with a new one. Made sure all connections were clean and tight. Reset the ECU connections. No bend or broken pins.
When I tried another ECU I still had the same three flashing indicators along with the beep so I don't think the ECU is the problem. I would really like to find out what the combination of the 3 flashing indicator lights & beep mean.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Car is still sitting in my driveway because I have no idea what else to check. I (my tester) can communicate with the instrument cluster, airbags, abs but not ecu & central conv.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts