VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
My partner has a 2007 beetle which she had not serviced for YEARS 🤦‍♂️ it has now seized and ruined the head and possibly the bottom end.
For some reason i can't find a AWU engine for sale so i was wondering if i can get any other 1.8T's from other cars (different engine codes) and fit them?
Are the base engines the same? all off the auxillariess (turbo, water pump etc.) are all fine.

Also is there anything i should look out for when replacing this?

Thanks!

· Registered
19,260 Posts
Is your new beetle a us spec car or from somewhere else?

What is your repair budget and are you looking to get a used, reman or crate engine etc?

Here is a faq chart on the various 1.8T engine codes and their differences :

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
229 Posts
Hi guys,
My partner has a 2007 beetle which she had not serviced for YEARS 🤦‍♂️ it has now seized and ruined the head and possibly the bottom end.
For some reason i can't find a AWU engine for sale so i was wondering if i can get any other 1.8T's from other cars (different engine codes) and fit them?
Are the base engines the same? all off the auxillariess (turbo, water pump etc.) are all fine.

Thanks!
The AWU code 1.8T engines are only found in the VW New Beetles...hope this helps narrow down your search for an engine.

· Registered
229 Posts
Is your new beetle a us spec car or from somewhere else?

What is your repair budget and are you looking to get a used, reman or crate engine etc?

Here is a faq chart on the various 1.8T engine codes and their differences :

Very interesting chart billymade...though the information for the 'AWU' code isn't 100% accurate.

It says the AWU code cars just have an ordinary K03 and not the K03S...this is incorrect for my country of Australia at least.

We got the AWU engine code New Beetles from 2001-2005...and they all had the K03-052 (a version of the K03S) as far as I know.

Also the chart says that all AWU are 'DBW'...yet although my 2004 New Beetle 1.8T (AWU code) is DBW - my 2001 New Beetle 1.8T (AWU code) is cable.

On another note...I find it interesting that the UK continued to get the 1.8T in their New Beetle range beyond 2005 - I think they were all manual
transmission New Beetle's from 2005 onwards though with the 1.8T ?

· Registered
19,260 Posts
Its interesting; how vw installed various engines, depending on the localization , all over the world and extended the use of things like cable or dbw, etc.

I guess, the next question; would be, what direction for the engine you wanted to go; e.g. rebuild, used, reman crate long block, etc.

From what i hear parts are hard to find and expensive, in Australia but more affordable, plenty of used parts in the UK, from what I see on the Facebook New Beetle groups, everyone is always parting out their cars. I guess you have to decide; what is the best solution, used, rebuild what you have or source a remanufactured long block and balance things out, what works in your repair budget?

· Registered
92 Posts
Pre 2003 (2002.5) before May 2002 new beetle can be found with cable driven throttle body and narrow band O2 sensors . Same as the Audi A4 B5 -pre-‘99.5 can also be found with this configuration. I only know this because I have owned them from both era’s ‘07 new beetle will certainly be a DBW In The 1.8T format any transverse mounted VW 1.8T will fit in the car AWV/AWP/AWU will be similar configuration. Easiest to get an immobiler defeated ECU with cluster and Engine/Trans of you configuration to swap it out easily

· Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys,

Thanks!
I have a 2003 1.8 turbo conv engine blew. Looking to sell the car for 1700 it will be a project car for someone that likes to work on,

· Registered
26 Posts
Hi guys,

Thanks!

I live in the Detroit area, (1) first off you have to replace the 2.5 with a 2.5, look up a "Pic a Part" or LKQ or anywhere you can go and see the car it is coming out of ... in most cases you can see the last oil change by looking at the inside windshield oil change sticker. All of these cars will have the oil and trans fluid drained ... but patching the pans are easy.

Ask the Yard how much the engine will be (go online and check pricing), the engine and trans together is the easiest way to get back on the road, might be worth purchasing both.

Having said all that ... you might consider getting a used car and turning the cars into some company that would give you a couple of hundred for the metal. Everyone... including me says .. yea I will replace this part in a day ... and a month later I'm still working on it .... the used car is easy and you can find folks selling on ebay to solve your headache.

Good Luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts