NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The headlights in our 01 beetle are clouded over
And the wires inside are fried

Who’s bought replacement lights and did you like em ?

I figured most of them are made of Chinesium and are total garbage

·
Registered
11,635 Posts

·
Registered
11,635 Posts

·
Registered
11,635 Posts
As to the quality of the aftermarket light assemblies; I don't think you're ever going to find the same quality as the stock VW OEM Bosch or Hella our stock parts; as always, price is a issue and they are not cheap.

However we did have a customer who wanted new headlight assemblies and just wanted to swap he old ones out; we ordered and install the "eagle eye" brand which are Chinese or Taiwanese sources parts and they installed OK, were a quick improvement over the aged, weathered, in poor condition originals but they certainly were not at the same quality level as oem. When handling the new ones, they were much lighter and the quality was obviously at a lower level but they were not concerned about that they just wanted something new that looked better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would restore the light assembly as stated above. As for restoring your cloudy headlight the best thing to do for that is to use bug spray with DEET. It works wonders. I've used restoration kits and they are more expensive, take more work, and the results are not nearly as good as using bug spray. I believe the DEET may slightly dissolve plastics, but it's not going to cause any damage. I've used it on my car and friends tons of times and they look pristine. Just spray it on wait a few seconds and wipe off with shop towel in circular motion. It will also take scuff marks off and not damage your paint.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Forgot to mention I had a tail light assembly break once bought a replacement, did not like it at all. I ended up finding the correct original VW tail light on ebay.

·
Registered
11,635 Posts
You definitely get what you pay for; I have noticed many aftermarket body related parts and light assemblies tend to have fitment problems, aside from the inferior production quality they typically exhibit. I think I would rather get a used good condition original Volkswagen Parts; many times rather than a inferior poor quality feeling aftermarket reproduction part.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Weird how VW made such poor quality parts too

The OEM tail light sockets kept melting and I just replaced them with generic ones from the auto parts store and haven’t had any more problems with em

·
Registered
250 Posts

Userbroncho....here is another thought that folks seem to be missing...go to your nearest bone yard and inquire about head lamps there. You WILL get OEM assemblies there and a helluva lot cheaper than going to the stealership and much better quality then the crap from China. You might even be able to pull the wiring as well.

Chances are you also might pick up a pair that are NOT hazed over, but if you do, see below.

When I had the 3M product "invisible bra" applied to my 2007 NB NBC, with the package deal came clear vinyl overlays for the headlamps. Those vinyl overlays have been on the head lamp lenses now for 12 years and the lenses are as crystal clear as the day I bought the car.

Good luck. and I hope this helps.

·
Registered
11,635 Posts
I got my replacement harness in the mail today; from AARodriguez/tunemyeuro.com; the quality seems to be good but on the 2005 new beetle convertible, that I am working on, one of the ground terminal sizes, was incorrect on the headlight assembly. I have emailed their customer support and I will see how they will resolve the issue; otherwise the quality seems good! It looks like a big improvement over the stock vw harness and the original one, was falling apart and the protective insulation, was literally flaking, falling off, exposing the inadequately thin original copper wire.

·
Registered
11,635 Posts

Larger size female terminal and smaller type ground male connection.

Correct size; tight and secure connection.

Comparison: between small correct and larger wrong terminal connector.

·
Registered
11,635 Posts

Here is the damaged original harness; the exposed bare wires, were causing blown fuses and arcing.

Cracked insulation and exposed copper wires and the deteriorated wires are very thin.

Definitely thicker gauge wires; overall a quality improved reproduction of the original harness.

·
Registered
250 Posts
WOW!!!! Was that really the ORIGINAL wiring harness for the headlamps? Looks to me like it was jerry rigged by previous owner. I can't believe VW would install this crap in their cars. Curious does anyone else's headlamp wiring harness look ANYTHING like this cobbled mess? Like I said, and I feel, the previous owner thought he could jerry rig something up so he would have a working headlamp....seriously I cannot believe VW would compromise their ingenuity with crap like you pull out.

Next time I have to replace a bulb I will take a look at the harness.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Headlamps vary greatly in quality, fitment and function. If you are looking to buy headlamps make sure you at least get the CAPA certified lamps, they are certified to perform, fit, function, and pass DOT regs. These are the only aftermarket part that insurance companies use. Check out Keystone/LKQ for CAPA and reconditioned OEM parts, another good place to look is car part.com, when I was an appraiser I always checked those two places before anything else and about 90% of the time the parts where significantly cheaper plus Keystone has a really good warranty and can be found in most states. Stay away from non certified parts, especially lamps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts