NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this can be like opening a can of worms, but brand of tires are you running? Why and would you buy them agin?
I'm looking to replace all 4 tires and just would like to see what the org thinks is the best way to go.
Last question, have you ever heard of these tires:
Falken Ziex 512
Nexxen N3000
Essenza EVO New Aqua
If so anyone running them?

SLUGO

·
Ace Bug Pilot
19 Posts
I've owned a set of the Falken Ziexs on my Acura Integra. They are excellent tires. Quiet with very good performance characteristics & with very good thread life to boot. I will definitely get another set for the NB when I upgrade with new wheels & tires. :)

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Running Pirelli PZero Nero M+S rubber on the NBC, Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 on the TDI, and Kumho Ecsta Supra 712s on the 2.0L.

I know I'm not going back with the 712s again, as they're summer-only and seem to wear a bit fast for me. Can get at least 20k from them, though. The Michelins are wearing okay, but will get replaced with something different. And the Pirellis have not been on long enough to really judge yet - they stick well, though.

-Des

·
Performance Freak
137 Posts
I'm running Toyo Proxes4 on the NB, and they are great in the rain, great in the dry, last long, and have surpassed all my expectations. They even worked OK in the snow, (225/45/17s) although I opted for true snow tires this winter.

I've had Toyo T1-S on the car too, they are amazing tires as well. Even better in the performance department, however, they get rather hard when the temps go below 40 degrees.

Toyos come highly recommended by me.

It really depends on what you are looking for too.
Summer performance, all weather performance, comfort, and what size you are looking at... 16", 17", 18", 19".

·
Lurker Status Assumed.
858 Posts
when it came time for me to get new tires, we weren't after high performance, but some better than average, relatively inepensive touring tires.

i got some Bridgestone Insignias (stock size at least on my alloys, 205/55R16), which are one step below the well-known and well-reviewed Potenzas. the ride is awesome, tons of grip everywhere, and after a year, theres no visible wear.

plus i think my grand total with mounting balancing and road hazard was like 200 bucks. ya couldnt beat it.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, thanks for the info. I'm looking for mid priced proformance tires in the 225/45/17 price range 125. to 150. each

·
keep on truckin'
20 Posts
Slugo - have been using that size for my summer setup with Yokohama ES100s. These ran very well & will prolly buy again for this year. I think they run a little over a hundred bones per.
Sticky and fairly good in the wet. The biggest downside, IMO is a noisy tread.

:batman:

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mr Natural said:
Slugo - have been using that size for my summer setup with Yokohama ES100s. These ran very well & will prolly buy again for this year. I think they run a little over a hundred bones per.
Sticky and fairly good in the wet. The biggest downside, IMO is a noisy tread.

When you say Noisy, how loud are you talking? Like I can't have the windows down, or just notice it more.

·
keep on truckin'
20 Posts
No, just a bit louder than other rubber that I've had. Audible on the expansion-strips between pavement sections, not obnoxious, just noticible. Easily handled by turning up my monsoon system a notch.

Great tires though.
I've also heard very good things about Avon - a newer brand to the US

·
Lurker
66 Posts
I hooked my Beetle up with a set of Kumho Ecsta ASX 17's a couple months back. So far, they're great. In fact, I like them so much that I bought a set for my wife's Jetta last week. You can pick them up for slightly less than $100 per tire at Pep Boy's. I had Discount Tire price match them for both of my purchases.

·
253 Posts
I run the Falkens on my SVT Contour and they were also on my wife's deceased 98 NB. Love those tires. They are all-weather and they have this neat extended bead that protects the wheels from curb damage. I highly recommend them. If you check around you may find them for under $100 each.
juice

1 - 11 of 11 Posts