NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
I picked up the oem blades from the dealer, about $40 for both. The drivers side has a wing on it.

If you still have the factory blades, you can pickup refills from the dealer.

·
I bleed Burnt Orange!
687 Posts
macdave said:
I picked up the oem blades from the dealer, about $40 for both. The drivers side has a wing on it.

If you still have the factory blades, you can pickup refills from the dealer.
There is nothing cheaper than $20 per wiper blade that is better than oem?

·
Registered
867 Posts
dgoldbe2 said:
There is nothing cheaper than $20 per wiper blade that is better than oem?

Not that I know of. You can pick uo a cheap set from an auto parts store, but I haven't found any that work right on a bug.

·
The skinny kid
39 Posts
The blade refills have always worked well for me....

·
Still bugging
91 Posts
mine

i bought some bosch(micro edge or something like that) ones(from autozone). they looked just like oem except they dont have the wing. i have had them on for like 8 months and still going strong

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Advance Auto Parts had some refills (requires some manual dexterity) that fit and work great. Not to mention that the price was right. If you want the entire wiper assembly then VW OEM is the way to go to maintain the original look on the driver side.

·
Save a horse, ride a....
222 Posts
Gotta throw in my recommendation for those one piece wiper blades (the one's in the tirerack link above). Got mine at Canadian Tire where they're called Reflex blades, but the idea is the same. Also noticed at the Toronto International Auto Show this past winter that many new (and high end) cars were coming with this type of wiper as OE.

Why do I like these blades? I find that they exert pressure evenly across the entire length of the blade because of the design of the back of the blade I guess - it being one continuous piece of metal. As a result, there is noticeably less chatter and streak free wiping. As well as on the Beetle, I have one of the back of my minivan - rear wiper blades are notorious for skipping...it's been at least a year and it still wipes perfectly. I'd have them on the front of the van too, but they don't come in 28".

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
I was using Bosch replacements, but the passenger side one has broken twice... it is the metal "bridge" where the clip is at. Apparently there is enough movement to fatigue the metal right there and after a few months it breaks. I have a wonderful scratched arch in the windshield courtesy of the last one breaking that as of yet I've been unable to buff out.

And this really sucks because I LIKED using Bosch wipers... knowing they are old school VW and stuff.

Now I use Trico's Teflon blades and the difference is night and day (not just because they don't break and fall off). Not to say there isn't another blade lurking somewhere out there that is better, but I can't beat the fact that they are readily available at any Advance Auto Parts store and what is even better, is Costco was selling them in a pair for about $20. I need to get back to Costco and see if they still carry them - its about time for replacements. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts