NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! This is my first time owning or even driving a Volkswagen anything. I have had my bug for about a month and I am already in love with it. However, this one has some cosmetic issues, which I have read to be very common problems with these cars.

The driver window keeps falling off the clips even after we've replaced the regulator. The driver door panel is also broken so every time I open the door, it sticks. :( The side mirror adjustment switch is broken off but on the bright side, who ever had the car before me was around my height so not much adjustment was needed. Lucky on that one. The door handle that you use to pull the door shut on the driver side is broken along with the window switch on the passenger side.

But worst of all, the speakers are horribly blown... I have door speakers for it from my mustang(had just bought new ones when the tranny died) since they both take 6 1/2" speakers. But when me and my dad removed the door panels to get the window back up (it had completely fallen between the door and the inner panel) we were completely puzzled on how to replace the speakers. He has done a lot of car audio work in the past but never on a Volkswagen. Any tips for beginners? :)

Also, I just want to point out that I paid $1400 for my beetle and its the 2.0 gas 4 cylinder, no sunroof, automatic everything. I have my aftermarket panasonic radio in it that I got from my mustang as well. I'm fine with all of the other cosmetic issues but I just can't deal with the blown speakers. Gotta jam out somehow.. lol :)

·
Registered
14,081 Posts
The driver window keeps falling off the clips even after we've replaced the regulator. The driver door panel is also broken so every time I open the door, it sticks. :( The side mirror adjustment switch is broken off but on the bright side, who ever had the car before me was around my height so not much adjustment was needed. Lucky on that one. The door handle that you use to pull the door shut on the driver side is broken along with the window switch on the passenger side.

The switches; just need to be replaced, you can get those from a VW dealer or cheaper aftermarket, replacements online.

The door handles breaking; is a common problem but some companies have made repair kits that work really well.

New Beetle Broken Door Handle Fixes

But worst of all, the speakers are horribly blown... I have door speakers for it from my mustang(had just bought new ones when the tranny died) since they both take 6 1/2" speakers. But when me and my dad removed the door panels to get the window back up (it had completely fallen between the door and the inner panel) we were completely puzzled on how to replace the speakers. He has done a lot of car audio work in the past but never on a Volkswagen. Any tips for beginners? :)

You could find some speakers; that are the same size and I'm sure they would be ok; or go to a junkyard or look on ebay for stock replacements.

Crutchfield; has a good page, that breaks down the sizes of speakers that fit in the different locaitons in a new beetle and other options for upgrades to the overall system.

1998-2010 Volkswagen Beetle Car Audio Profile

Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.. but now theres a bigger problem. I was coming home from school a few minutes ago and the music was kind of loud and like I said, the speakers are blown. But they completely quit working?!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts