NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The antenna on my '99 TDI bug looks pretty crappy. Seems like the previous owner probably bent it with a roof rack. Is this a big deal to replace?

Thanks,

Chuck

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
ChuckDubDub said:
The antenna on my '99 TDI bug looks pretty crappy. Seems like the previous owner probably bent it with a roof rack. Is this a big deal to replace?

Thanks,

Chuck
Like the guys above said, it will just unscrew and the new one screws right in. Thirty seconds, tops.

When we bought our '99 last fall, the first thing we noticed was the broken antenna. It just kinda flopped around up there and looked horrible (especially with the wal-mart flower antenna ball still attached lol).

I went straight to Ebay and bought one for $9.99 + shipping. It was a perfect fit and works great. My base was still good, just faded and 'gray', so we used Mothers "Back to Black" and now it looks like new (although it did take several applications for the black to soak in). IMHO, this is one of the easiest/cheapest things you can do to make your NB look like new again.

We want pics of your NB and the cooool spoiler! I'd like a spoiler on mine too but I don't have one!:)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a follow-up

So I ended up going the to ECSTuning site, and ordering one of these. Definitely plug 'n play, which is great, thanks for the info.

However, I noticed that with the shortened antenna that receive quality was degraded. I never thought my FM reception (which is all I care about) was particularly good, and this made it worse.

I pulled out the teeny 10 inch (the longest option) rod and did some math. A quarter wavelength for the FM band is roughly 2 feet. (Formula is 234/freq in Mhz). I replaced the 10 inch rod in this ECS antenna with a 24 inch rod by trimming down an old CB antenna with bolt cutters no less. :p Anyway, the reception is noticeably MUCH better than even the OEM was.

I guess the whole "stubby" style thing is an example of sacrificing function for looks, eh? Doesn't work so well, but hey it looks great! ;)

-Chuck

·
Registered
52 Posts
Was it just me or did anybody else get a horrible high school flashback!:p

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
ChuckDubDub said:

Thanks,

Chuck
Has anyone tried to replace the stock NB antenna with one of the OEM VW antennas that support Satellite radio? I have Sirius in my Beetles but wanted to get rid of the dash mounted (actually not mounted at all...just sort of hops around) antenna that was installed when the aftermarket radio was installed.

I thought one of the OEM models for the passat or other VW might be a cool way to go...just not sure if it would be an easy job to do or not, and if it should connect right up to the radio.

Thanks...

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
I have replaced my antenna with a shark fin style antenna from the Audi A3 (same model as the VW Pheaton). These antennas have the same square mounting hole so they are interchangable. However, the shark fin style antennas do not contain a FM radio antenna, "only" GPS, GSM and remote starting/heating.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Basher said:
I have replaced my antenna with a shark fin style antenna from the Audi A3 (same model as the VW Pheaton). These antennas have the same square mounting hole so they are interchangable. However, the shark fin style antennas do not contain a FM radio antenna, "only" GPS, GSM and remote starting/heating.

Ah, so if I am not concerned with AM or FM, that should do the trick?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Wellll.. I have an aftermarket sharkfin antenna that's made for AM/FM reception only!!! Haven't installed it yet but am looking forward to very soon. I need to get it painted first. It is not as elongated as the Audi / Phaeton unit. But it actually complements the bug's size & roofline well.
No BS!!

;) :)

·
It's a shot glass!
1,530 Posts
globug01 said:
Wellll.. I have an aftermarket sharkfin antenna that's made for AM/FM reception only!!! Haven't installed it yet but am looking forward to very soon. I need to get it painted first. It is not as elongated as the Audi / Phaeton unit. But it actually complements the bug's size & roofline well.
No BS!!

;) :)
Any pics of it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
easy is too hard for me :(

My antenna mast on my 1999 vw beetle is really bent, and I am trying to replace it too.

I know its suppose to be easy to replace this but I don't see where I am suppose to unscrew the existing one. Do I twist at the rubber part?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts